What are the symptoms of a too-short pin in RAM?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The micro emery on a pencil eraser Matt suggested is an excellent method.......just a few quck turns and that should do it...........OR on the other hand I used the other end of a #2 yellow school pencil that has a hard flat surface.........and wrapped tape around the pencil until it was a tight fit in the bore to keep the pencil aligned.

I have used an eraser several times when needed. First rotate the eraser on the "volcano" seat until the eraser wears into the seat's form. You will feel the eraser take a "center" as it wears down into the hole in the seat. You will be able to re-index the eraser on the seat by feel for the actual rubbing part. Now apply a small bit of rubbing compound into the new groove in the eraser that the seat has made. This way, it will not just be the top of the seat being worn flat, but the seat will be rubbed down fairly even along the taper. Use a water-based rubbing compound so you can rinse it out when you are finished.

After swapping parts around a bunch of times, I am confident that the problem is in fact a nicked orifice. Everything I have works beautifully in my Conshelf. I think I can see a very small radial scratch in the sealing face.

If it isn't one thing, it's another...

Think of how good you are at disassembly now though.

Think of how good you are at disassembly now though.

Excellent point..........when I first started tearing into these regs, it's take me an hour to put one back together, being careful and all, studying the pieces etc..........but after testing each of my 20 prototype Mk3's last year, both, before chroming and after, I got the assembly down to about 15 minutes...testing and disassembly, took another 10-15.

I do believe assembly with proper care can be reduced to about 10 minutes......not that this is important to an individual assembling his own, but this is important in manufacturing...........

There also is a material call Cratex, it is a rubber impregnated with abrasive. It is available in different grades of abrasive and shapes. Sort of like an eraser with the lapping compound built in.

National Supply Source Rubberized and MX Abrasives

The regs I have had with a weak spring on the diaphragm would not set to a proper IP, only able to get it to around 110 psi or less, continued cranking of the internal hex nut resulted in the spring coils touching, solid column, and then erratic, and then rising IP. At least that is what I recall, could be I don't remember right. :idk:

N

My spring might have been less worn out than yours; I could get it to 135 or so, but then I'd tap the horseshoe a few times, or take a few breaths if the reg was assembled, and soon enough it would be back down to 110-115. If I adjusted it really high it just creeped.

My spring might have been less worn out than yours; I could get it to 135 or so, but then I'd tap the horseshoe a few times, or take a few breaths if the reg was assembled, and soon enough it would be back down to 110-115. If I adjusted it really high it just creeped.

I had a Phoenix doing pretty much the same thing which turned out to be the spring....which is the reason I sourced and ordered the springs. They must have been good, I have not heard of any problems with them.

Back
Top Bottom