What are these creatures??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FuzzyNutz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Do any of you know what the 'glowing ball' thing at 5:00 and the 'walking fish' from 5:16-5:30 is?

[video=youtube;3AqbpIaPvwc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AqbpIaPvwc[/video]

the walking one is a red-lipped Batfish and i have no idea what the glowing circle thing is tho ill try and look it up

The fish is a batfish... not sure about the glowing ball, but it's awesome!

Not sure what the glowing ball is.....appears to be some kind of jelly fish, but don't know for sure. The "walking fish" is a batfish. Those things are so ugly they're cute....lol. Great video, by the way!

(Oops! Looks like others answered while I was watching the video)

The red-lipped batfish (Ogcocepphalus darwini) is an unusual looking fish from the Galapagos Islands. It belongs to the family Ogcocephalidae, whose members are commonly referred to as batfish.

You could ask Annie about the "glowing ball" - it's her video. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/members/annie+crawley.html

I'm dont know about the glowing balls,

But the walking fish is probably a rosy lipped batfish...very interesting fish :D

PS: like someone said, others must have answered while i was watching the video :dork2:

Thanks for the replies, that batfish is really cool!! It's kind of like evolution in progress - maybe in another 5000 years it's tail will split off into legs so it can run on shore and catch bids, haha. I was thinking the glowing ball thing was a sort of jellyfish too, but I have absolutely no idea - very neat though!!

Awesome video!

The glowing ball looks like eggs suspended in some type of gel or mucus. The glow is probably from the video light feflecting. I've seen similar egg clusters on NatGeo.

The glowing ball looks like eggs suspended in some type of gel or mucus. The glow is probably from the video light feflecting. I've seen similar egg clusters on NatGeo.

That's a pretty good guess, you can see faintly see some others in the background that aren't glowing - which could be since the light isn't focused on them - and I've seen some videos of certain jellyfish who put on a complete light show from microscopic 'fibers' on their bodies that refract the light, which was very beautiful and amazing!

PS: (looks at your avatar) If I EVER find a Big Daddy underwater, I will probably become a master of the WarHammer Maneuver <--- click with lots of caution!!

Back
Top Bottom