What camera rig to take to Raja Ampat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chris kippax

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi All
My partner and I are going on the Arenui in January to Raja Ampat for 13nights and I am unsure which of our cameras to take. We took both to Wakatobi in June and it was a painful at times carrying it all and paying overweight fees. One is obviously great for macro and poor for wide angle and the other is a great overall performer.

So if you could take only one what would you choose.
Canon g12, ikelite housing, 2 X ds125's, inon ucl100 m67, Ikelite w4-d conversion dome, laluz focus light.
Canon s95, ikelite housing, 2 X af35's, 2 X dyron +7 diopters, fisheye uwl-04.

Thanks for your input.

First off I am not one much for macro so that said to me Raja is all about Wide Angle. So while I like the s95 the af35s would not be my choice. If I was to cobble your existing gear together it would be: Canon s95, Ike Housing, 2xds125, fisheye UWL-04, 2x +7 diopters, laluz, with a set of Ike Fiber Optic Adapters. But if you prefer shooting in TTL and can only take one system then I'd go with the g12, because of the strobes.

Here is a gallery from our 14 day Arenui trip: Aquablue Dreams Still trying to get the video up to Vimeo. You will have a great time!

WHAT??? mjh, you swam up to a croc to do what? Isn't that a death wish? I've just started getting used to sharks, but the thought of crocs is what is keeping us away from that coastal area...

Sorry, I don't mean to be off topic... nice nice photos.

WHAT??? mjh, you swam up to a croc to do what? Isn't that a death wish? I've just started getting used to sharks, but the thought of crocs is what is keeping us away from that coastal area...

Sorry, I don't mean to be off topic... nice nice photos.

Where did you see the crocodile? #11 is the crocodile fish, which not quite the same thing as a crocodile. :)

Wobbegong shark yes…Croc no…but I would if I could. They use to visit one a few years ago and then they had the "incident". Plus if the croc didn't get me my wife may for trying to photograph one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom