What Camera to Buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kmaass

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
I am going to be scuba diving within the next month for my first time but plan on going many more times in the future. I have been a photographer for several years and own a Canon Digital Rebel and Canon XSI but don't want to spend the money for a new housing. I am looking at hopefully not spending more than $500.

The only options I have found so far that seem suitable are a small point and shoot with a potential housing, something SeaLife such as the DC1200, or a GoPro. What camera should I go with or is there another good option? Preferably something that also shoots good video because I could also pull images from those.

Hi kmaass,

There are so many options, one you might want to consider is buying a used system, more bang for the buck. Check the classifieds here and at Wetpixel. In addition here is a good article on a range of "affordable" cameras by a very reputable shop: Underwater Camera Articles: Best Underwater Point & Shoot Cameras for 2010. It might help with general info also.

Since you are new to diving please bare with me on this next subject. Cameras completely change they way you dive and in essence see the ocean around you. Even small point and shoots require additional task loading. Also all of us need to protect the reef, structures and creatures we are trying to capture in pixels. This requires excellent buoyancy. You should be able to hover in one spot, motionless. Be proficient at back kicks, frog kicks, helicopter kicks and be able to change depth just using your lungs. You need to know your gear and have a fair amount of "ocean experience" before taking a camera down.

While you log dives, gain experience you can research cameras and build up the bank account because cameras + diving =$$$$. Welcome to addiction:D

Gain some experience UW then get a camera-------cuz you'll probably not be pleased with your 1st results as a new diver....Chances are there'll be someone along taking pics that will be glad to share their's with you.....I know this is not the answer you're wanting to hear but somehow the phrase 'cart before horse' comes to mind....lol, I'm getting ready to put a new rig into action in a few weeks in CZM & I'm(after 1300+ dives--1000 with a camera)) getting a little giddy thinking about all the new stuff I'm going to encounter UW with it......Good luck with your new sport, give yourself some time, it'll all work out....

Last edited:
Good points, I hadn't thought to much about that aspect. I was thinking about going along the lines of the GoPro anyways, and if I did this I could simply mount it to my head and then would have both hands free without having to worry about a camera. Does that sound reasonable?

Does anybody have an opinion on buying the GoPro vs. the Contour HD?

I have the GoPro HD and absolutely love the camera. The quality of the movies is pretty good, but I do have one gripe - it is a "fixed" lens so you can't zoom in or out.

Also, I haven't taken any video underwater yet. I have been landlocked for a year due to med issues, but am anxious to get back in the water and test it out.

Besides the non zoom lens issue there is one other criteria you should consider. Lighting. The GoPro has no flash and no external lighting features.So, if you are diving in less than perfect lighting conditions the video may not be good.

i personally really like the go pro as a beginning camera, and its what i've started with. the stills it takes are ok but since its primarily a video camera, the picture functions a point and shoot might have simply arent there. here's a link or two of some video i've taken freediving. i think the some of the video quality is lost when uploading to youtube because the raw footage i have looks much better.

YouTube - west coast fl diving and spearing compilation

YouTube - freediving and spearfishing fl 7-30-10

kmaass, I have just purchased the DC1200 and used it once. The pictures were as bad as the ones taken with the $75 camera. I couldn't figure out what the problem was so I sent an email to the manufacture asking for input on how to improve, as well as remove the framing from the wide-angle lens. When I didn't get a response to the first email, I sent a second one. Now 2 months later, I still haven't heard from the manufacture. What I conclude from this experience is that Sea-Life doesn't support their products. I would suggest you look at Sea & Sea. I know they are good cameras and come highly recommended. Good luck

kmaass, I have just purchased the DC1200 and used it once. The pictures were as bad as the ones taken with the $75 camera. I couldn't figure out what the problem was so I sent an email to the manufacture asking for input on how to improve, as well as remove the framing from the wide-angle lens. When I didn't get a response to the first email, I sent a second one. Now 2 months later, I still haven't heard from the manufacture. What I conclude from this experience is that Sea-Life doesn't support their products. I would suggest you look at Sea & Sea. I know they are good cameras and come highly recommended. Good luck

Did you try posting on the Sealife forum here on scubaboard. They are really good at getting back to you. I have taken +/- 300 pictures with my DC800 and think it is great. The video isn't bad either. You might try reading the manual to find out how to set the camera for underwater photography. Did you get the strobe or the video light or did you just buy the camera and housing. Lighting is probably the most important thing with underwater photography. I would love to have the DC1200.

I disagree with the comment about support. The forum here is great for getting questions answered. I have read the forum here an gotten answers to several questions I have had.

If you still have problems it may be defective, take it back to where you bought it and have them send it in for repairs.

Good points, I hadn't thought to much about that aspect. I was thinking about going along the lines of the GoPro anyways, and if I did this I could simply mount it to my head and then would have both hands free without having to worry about a camera. Does that sound reasonable?

Does anybody have an opinion on buying the GoPro vs. the Contour HD?

I love my GoPro... just be sure to get a slat lens for it. My buddy uses a contour and I'm not a big fan of his stuff. When I first got the GoPro I used it on a head mount and just filmed. Now I use a flat lens, I just attach it to a lanyard and hand hold it (I have acarbon fiber rod for a mount)

Back
Top Bottom