What can brown do TO you today?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I work for an international organization that works in Russia and the Former Soviet Union and we ALWAYS use DHL if we can. They will get the package to places you have never even heard of in half the time and at half the cost of UPS or FedEx.

Actually, I prefer to use the good ol' postal service. Prioity mail is 2-3 day and is 1/4th the price of UPS ground.

Faster AND cheaper...I can't see a down side.

norcaldiver:
Actually, I prefer to use the good ol' postal service. Prioity mail is 2-3 day and is 1/4th the price of UPS ground.

Faster AND cheaper...I can't see a down side.

Norcal,

Wait until the Good Old USPO loses something. I've had to call my Congressman, write letters etc. to get action. As much as I complain about UPS, the "PO" makes them look like a true customer drive service organization devoted to the genuine happiness of their customers..........

If you mail something overseas, forget it if it's lost. The USPO will point fingers at the foreign PO and the foreign PO won't give a damn.

We do use the mail all the time, but only for low value items where we would bother to file a claim anyway.

Tobin

iflyprops:
Has anyone tried DHL? They are starting to get big and I have seen alot of their trucks and aircraft around...

Just a thought
DHL is the largest shipping company in the world, bigger than FedEx and UPS combined. They are European based with a US subsidiary. Due to the relaxing of the cargo cabatage laws, DHL is now able to do more airborne shipping stateside. This has led to increased ground shipping as well.

mempilot:
DHL is the largest shipping company in the world, bigger than FedEx and UPS combined. They are European based with a US subsidiary. Due to the relaxing of the cargo cabatage laws, DHL is now able to do more airborne shipping stateside. This has led to increased ground shipping as well.

May have to revisit DHL. In years past they wern't very competitive for domestic freight.

Tobin

cool_hardware52:
May have to revisit DHL. In years past they wern't very competitive for domestic freight.

Tobin
The FedEx and UPS lobbyists must have been asleep at the wheel. The cabatage laws keep carriage of passengers and cargo in the favor of the country's own companies. With DHL owning a US entity, they were able to benefit from some loopholes, but now they can go all out. The same is happening on the passenger side with Richard Branson and Virgin Airlines. He's opening up a stateside entity called Virgin US. It will have a controlling interest owned by US shareholder's, but will be operated under the wing of the big Virgin. Most of the profits from DHL and Virgin filter out of the country, but they do create jobs for citizens.

UPS really does suck. They once left a $3000 computer on my front porch in the winter time. The box was stamped with large letters telling them not to leave the box on the porch. My only conclusion can be that UPS drivers are illiterate. On top of that the computer was three weeks late.

I"ve had the opposite experience. An expensive SACD player that went missing was sent by Fedex. Driver tried to claimed he had delivered it at 10:04pm on Friday. Wife and I were both home, so no way. After some phone calls and a short inquiry, the box turned up on the front porch with no further explanation the following Tuesday.

UPS has been very reliable and the driver for my route is nice. She's been on this route for several years now.

About DHL...I work for a large "document" corporation, we'll call brand "X". We use(d) AirborneExpress, which was mergered into and/or aquired by DHL. A lot of our parts come from Europe and sometimes things show up in great shape and sometimes, well... Ever since the merger, the guys in the bright yellow shirts seem to be getting later and later. We used to see our shipments between 8:30 AM and 9:00 AM, now 10:30 AM is the norm and 11:00 AM isn't uncommon. I don't know if they are overworked or what, but I personally don't expect gentle handling from employee's who seem to be running behind. UPS? yeah, there's issues there, too. Most of my ground shipments come from them. Best we can figure is they hire college football players during the off season to work in their warehouse. The one overlooked service I like to use for smallish things is the good 'ol USPS. They even deliver on Saturdays at no extra charge! I often get the feeling with the shipping companies that even if they have the ability to move your package quicker, they will let it sit in a warehouse for a couple of days because you paid for three day service. I would like so see it as you paid for a MAXIMUM of three days,and if we can get it there quicker, we will. I've ordered a number of things over the years and admit to getting a little frustrated to "see" my package sitting in a sorting facility in Kentucky for two days. At least it's been my experience with the postal service that it's garbage in, garbage out. FedEx has been pretty good to me over the years, too.

Of course, you've heard Federal Express and UPS are merging...the new company will be called Fed-Up!

sauga:
Best we can figure is they hire college football players during the off season to work in their warehouse.
Don't know about football players, but where I went to college there _were_ definitely a good number of people that got jobs on the UPS graveyard warehouse shift - like a bunch from my now-husband's fraternity. I think most didn't stay long, basically just as long as they could take the hours and rake in some $.

Back
Top Bottom