What Color Is Your Stuff?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RobPNW

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
For my basic warm water equipment, all my gear is boring black for the most part- yawn. I'm putting together a cold water kit of gear and am thinking about adding some color since visibility and diver identification is a bit more challenging when not in bright 82F water conditions.Which pieces of your gear are colored and please share pictures if you've got them :cool:

I'll share pictures later. However, to make my gear more distinct, I use blue-webbing for my harness. It's fairly easy to get webbing in just about any color, although you might have to get somewhat stiff webbing. I also added some SOLAS tape to my fins, and tanks. I'd like to also add some SOLAS to my harness, but I ran out of the material.

For SOLAS, I reccomend Orafol FD1403. There's a sticky "tape" version, and a sew-on version. To ensure the tape didn't come unstuck, I added a few drops of super-glue to the ends/corners of the tape.

20220612_164854.jpg

20220707_173012.jpg

I've heard of instructor orange gear. I'm wondering for some colors how effective it is as you go down in depth as the spectrum disappears.

Unfortunately, a lot of dive gear is made for men to imagine they are seal team six… or some similar fantasy. Finding non black gear is a challenge. I like color on my gear, but finding a wetsuit that fits well and ISN’T black can be tough… This pick I’d from dicking around with my vintage gear in the pool. My regular open water gear is blue and black or black, black and blue….

Attachments

• 305BE420-C447-469E-9DCD-BE83504CA356.png
    305BE420-C447-469E-9DCD-BE83504CA356.png
    248.8 KB · Views: 59
My priority isn't to be an underwater peacock or anything. I'm cool with all black gear. Just thinking a couple accent color items might be worthwhile to make it easier to see who's who in the mucky zoo. Fins are an obvious choice. Didn't think of the colored webbing mentioned above but that seems like a definite maybe.

Red wing with black harness. Wetsuits are either all black or black with red or blue depending which one I'm using. Fins can be black, orange, white or yellow. The lack of unity is very unifying.

EDIT: My wife said my orange or white fins make me easy to identify underwater. I dove with a guy once that had red hoses on his regs and they were very distinctive.

I read a few articles online that said sharks are attracted to brighter or contrasting colors. Not sure how accurate that is. Of course that's what would also let you stand out vs other divers. Considering the ROYGBIV degradation with depth, seems blue or white would be the last colors lost.

Whoa, I just thought of something! Several of the houses in my neighborhood now have permanent Christmas lights installed, only they can be whatever color they want, and they can do patterns. So, flashing red white and blue on Independence Day, a few white lights for security lighting, pink chasers for Valentine's Day, or whatever. THAT'S WHAT YOU NEED! The underwater equivalent. It'll require invention for the actual equipment, but you can work on it, and pay me for the idea once you start marketing it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom