What Defines a "Tech" Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Never is the short answer, not been smart. But I'll bet your going to be told you should start using helium at 100 feet and then you're told you need a rebreather and helium bailout or another rebreather. Its about selling gear. Like I said I love the simplicity of scuba. And i can make the dive i described for 50 euro.I'm not going to jump up on a pedestal and preach about the scarcity of helium to sell you the rebreather.

I will, something about sitting at 130 not at all narced that is just plain nice.

I'm trying to arrive at a "definition" that clearly separates the person from the dive. The focus is also today, not what it might have been 20-30-40 years ago, or what it might be in the future.

The Dive (i.e., the activity...not the person doing it)
Certain dives definitely require solid technical training and equipment, others certainly do not. Exactly where that crosses over is clearly arguable...there is a gray area.
  • Less than 40m, NDL, apparently no argument that this is recreational. So 40m to maybe 50m, NDL, is in the gray area between a recreational dive and a technical dive.
  • What about deco? No deco (and not too much depth) is clearly recreational; lots of deco is clearly technical. For the sake of argument, let's say that 5 mins of deco at 3m, using backgas, is "light deco." Let's say that required deco at more than one depth, is "deco." Then we define the technical dive as requiring deco for more than 5 mins at one depth or at more than two depths.
  • Helium: air is acceptable for all agencies up to 30m, but additional He is sometimes included for greater depths. Certainly deeper than 60m, He is mandatory for all agencies. The gray zone is 30-60m for He. If you are using He, it is a technical dive, by definition herein.
  • Oxygen: Nitrox is extremely popular in recreational diving, for the increased bottom time; up to 40% is the usual training. Greater than 40% is the realm of advanced nitrox for deco, 50, 80, and 100% being popular. Hypoxic mixes (less than 21% O2) are reserved for deep dives, typically greater than 60m. So the clear recreational regime for oxygen is 21-40%: for technical the oxygen content is darn near anything, with low percentages for really deep and high percentages for deco.
  • Nitrogen: N2 is 79% is air, and only varies from that in recreational diving if Nitrox is used, i.e. replacing some N2 with O2. If the N2 varies from 79% due to the addition of He, then it is a technical dive.
The Diver (i.e., the person....not the dive)
Based on observation and anecdote, the vast majority of divers have minimal training beyond OW, do not dive with redundancy (except for an alternate 2nd stage), do not plan their dives based on mission, gas usage, staying within NDL, or expectation of any equipment faults or other unanticipated issues, do not really stick with their buddies, ascend too quickly from their safety stops, and do not log their dives. This is the realm of the purely recreational diver, who may care little about trim or propulsion techniques, and is there to see the reef, swim around the wreck, or look for sharks.

The agencies view the recreational divers as those without any technical training, and tend to be vague about how much and which technical training turns the diver from a recreational diver into a technical diver.
At the very least, in the TDI sequence as an example, the Advanced Nitrox/Deco Procedures course is the clear entry point to technical diving. There is an introductory course, Intro to Tech Diving, but it is an introduction to the skills needed in tech diving without going into any details or giving much practice. The first real tech course is Advanced Nitrox, which teaches the use of O2 from 21% up to 100% and thus address the fourth bullet above; no deco is involved, and no depths greater than 40m. The second real tech course is Decompression Procedures, which teaches use of a decompression cylinder, trains to 45m. The third is Extended Range, which trains to 55m. The PADI sequence is similar, with Tec 40, 45, and 50. These examples move through the transition from recreational dives -- no extra gas or equipment needs, no deco, no Helium -- through light deco, into real deco on real dives with quite hard virtual ceilings. The key distinguishing feature in all the training is not that depth is the single discriminator for what makes a dive technical, but rather deco is the primary discriminator. Depth is simply what makes deco so very likely; depth is what makes Helium so very likely; and depth is what makes hypoxic mixes so very likely.

Thus, the recreational diver becomes a technical diver when they learn how to manage deco (whether cause by depth or just by long dives at moderate depths), and how to manage the other things that depth might require, namely gas changes, extra cylinders, redundant equipment, and dive planning.

Because all these new things the recreational diver must learn and get skilled at can be taught or self-learned in various sequences and with varying emphases, there is not a hard boundary one crosses to become a technical diver...there are "baby step" involving deco, gas mixtures, equipment, planning, etc., that are appropriate to "baby dives," yet each of these steps can become more involved and move critical to survival as depth and/or deco increases.

It might be argued that the agencies have tacitly decided that a "full-fledged technical diver" is one that is trained through trimix with hypoxic oxygen and multiple deco cylinders plus back gases and travel gases. so that "all" depths can be accessed. Of course, in these extremes, CCRs come into play as being more and more the tool fo choice, if only for the cost of helium and the number of bottles one can conveniently carry. NOTE: CCRs are just a very technical way to manage the bulleted aspects (listed above) that need to be managed on a dive.

Summary
The recreational dive is one that has no special demands regarding depth, deco or gasses. Above 40m, NDL, Nitrox at less than 40%. Good agreement.
(The coarse definition of a technical dive is one that is beyond recreational in terms of depth, deco, and gasses.)
The gray area is deeper than 40m-50m; deco of less than 5min at 3m is "light gray;" depths to 50m are gray; normoxic He is "dark gray."
The technical dive is one with special demands on depth, deco, or gases, thus special demands on equipment to address those those demands. It unequivocally involves depths below 50m; deco of more than 5mins at one depth or deco at two depths or more; oxygen over 40%; helium and hypoxic oxygen.

If one does a technical dive -- as just defined -- then one should mitigate the increased risks of that dive by having the appropriate training, experience, and equipment, and should plan the dive accordingly.

A recreational diver is one doing a recreational dive, whether that diver has done technical dives or not.
A technical diver is one who is doing a technical dive and is trained, equipped, and following established procedures for that dive, including pre-planning. A technical diver who is doing a recreational dive may plan the dive, but as there are no special needs in that dive for gasses, equipment, or deco, then it is not a technical dive...it is still a recreational dive.
Very thoughtful, thanks

I am a recreational diver with no technical training. I was Rescue certified in 2005, solo certified in 2013, carry redundant gas, and log my dives. I have a little over 2250 dives since 1997

Most of my dives are traditional recreational, less than 130 ft, no deco. I only have 37 dives deeper than 130 ft, all but 3 between 130 and 150 feet, with a deep of 161 ft. There has to be something very good to see or do for me to go that deep for a short dive. Between 4 and 5% of my dives are light backgas deco. In my case, <10 min. I have never had a stop deeper than 10 feet.

So, I am a recreational diver doing some recreational+ dives in the gray zone.

• Nitrogen: N2 is 79% is air, and only varies from that in recreational diving if Nitrox is used, i.e. replacing some N2 with O2. If the N2 varies from 79% due to the addition of He, then it is a technical dive.
So you are saying that it's a tech dive if the N2 varies from 79% due to the addition of He...... Right?

If that's the case then why isn't it also tech dive if the addition of O2 causes the N2 to vary from 79%?

So you are saying that it's a tech dive if the N2 varies from 79% due to the addition of He...... Right?

If that's the case then why isn't it also tech dive if the addition of O2 causes the N2 to vary from 79%?

Because recreational nitrox cert is 40 percent, a established recreational limit, up to 40 O2.

You can dive nitrox on an OW certification dive. That seems a little early in the training cycle to be calling it tech diving.

Because recreational nitrox cert is 40 percent, a established recreational limit, up to 40 O2.
Well that's just silly.... Some "agency" says that adding 19% of additional O2 is "recreational" but that adding 1% of He makes it "technical" ?

Let's throw another extreme out there. After I finished my instructor I was interviewing at a shop. I mentioned bpw and was told "that's tech gear". So by default that means I became a tech diver within a few months of OW cert with something like 20 dives. Thar persons definition of tech diving.

Once upon a time it was. But Nitrox has now been normalized. I'm living in the present, not the past.
In any case the issue is the helium, not the change of N2.

Well that's just silly.... Some "agency" says that adding 19% of additional O2 is "recreational" but that adding 1% of He makes it "technical" ?
The 23.5% has nothing to do with a scuba agency. It is a standard of the Compressed Gas Association, which deals with all compressed gases, only a tiny, tiny percentage of which include scuba tanks.

The 40% rule has nothing to do with the CGA, and it was around long before the CGA made the 23.5% rule.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom