What Defines a "Tech" Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seems like recently there have been several threads that involve poorly worded statements or definitions. The ANDI Definition as stated above would seem to indicate that a dive using more than two cylinders is a technical dive... When I do a NDL dive to 100ft with an AL19cf Pony back mounted to a Steel HP100, I don't at all consider that a technical dive. 🤷‍♂️
How is a HP100 plus a Pony more than two cylinders?

How is a HP100 plus a Pony more than two cylinders?
You definitely are right, There I go again not reading correctly! I initially took it as meaning two or more. Sorry bout that.

Seems like recently there have been several threads that involve poorly worded statements or definitions. The ANDI Definition as stated above would seem to indicate that a dive using more than two cylinders is a technical dive... When I do a NDL dive to 100ft with an AL19cf Pony back mounted to a Steel HP100, I don't at all consider that a technical dive. 🤷‍♂️
The word "using" is important. Having a pony doesn't make it a technical dive, breathing from it does :)

[edit: oh man, the more than than 2 cylinders requirement ruined my joke]

Rebreathers == technical diving
Discuss :)
In the early 1900s, automobiles were technical driving ("recreational" being horse-and-buggies).

PADI's subsidiary DSAT (Diving Science and Technology) taught its tech courses, all the way through trimix. Then PADI got rid of that subsidiary and taught the same classes under its own name.
As a historical note:
In 1997 PADI surveyed its 2629 Master Instructors about developing technical diving courses beyond recreational limits. 45% said yes, using gas other than air, and enriched air >40%.

In 2001 PADI -- in conjunction with DSAT -- announced the Apprentice Tec and Tec Deep Diver course; DSAT had formed a Technical Diving Division to do this. "TecRec" became the umbrella name for technical diving courses developed by DSAT and distributed through PADI.

Trimix came along in 2002. Tec Distinctive Specialty courses started in 2009.

The last overt mention of DSAT in the PADI Training Bulletins was in 2009.

Those divers that have a more disciplined approach will naturally seek academic and skill training to extend their range.
Discipline is within yourself, it can be learned and even enforced, but after all self discipline is the key for anything in the life. So the above is very true and maybe the best answer to what defines a tech diver, despite 3D or 4D capabilities - a self disciplin.

Mixed gas rebreathers are definitely tec diving.
But I am a fully recreational diver, and yet my first certification did allow me to dive with ARA (twin tank OC with air down to 15m max) and with ARO (CC pure-oxygen rebreather down to 10m).
So a pure oxygen rebreather was considered recreational here in Italy, and was the most common underwater breathing apparatus between 1950 and 1965.
No bailout, considering the limited depth allowed...
And very light equipment, less than 10 kg, so it was appreciated by tiny divers or females, instead of heavy and bulky twin tanks, which were the alternative.
Only around 1970 air tanks became popular...
CC pure oxygen rebreathers continued to be used during diving courses until 1980.

Well assuming you have a bailout, you have 3 cylinders as per the definition above 😂

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom