What depth to test a new housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I got my housing I tested it empty in a bathtub, then a pool. I then bought equipment insurance for both the camera and the housing from DAN, got on a plane and went diving in Bonaire. (When I got there I took it down about 6 feet empty to check for damage in transit.)

Interesting to see a range of opinions. That's why these discussion boards are great. I much appreaciate everyone's thoughts and inputs.

I have also posed the same question to the manufacturer so we'll see what they come back with.

I don't that I will be testing it down to its "max depth declared for the housing +5 meters". It is rated to 100 meters (330 fsw). I'd be long dead by the time I got to 105 meters on scuba air... <S>

Regards
Peter

peterbkk:
Interesting to see a range of opinions. That's why these discussion boards are great. I much appreaciate everyone's thoughts and inputs.

I have also posed the same question to the manufacturer so we'll see what they come back with.

I don't that I will be testing it down to its "max depth declared for the housing +5 meters". It is rated to 100 meters (330 fsw). I'd be long dead by the time I got to 105 meters on scuba air... <S>

Regards
Peter

You can always go fishing. That's how I test housings. Yet another use for a spool/reel. :wink:

I make sure the leak detector is working, stuff in a camera and take it on a dive.

If I've had a (semi) annual service done, the repair shop I use is nice enough to pressure test it for me.

All the best, James

The manufacturer has said that a shallow test is enough. So, I am off to the local dive school where there is a 3 meter deep pool. I'll stick a padded weight in the housing and stick it on the bottom of the pool for 10 minutes. If it passes that test, then I'll load up the camera and go diving.

Regards
Peter

peterbkk:
The manufacturer has said that a shallow test is enough. So, I am off to the local dive school where there is a 3 meter deep pool. I'll stick a padded weight in the housing and stick it on the bottom of the pool for 10 minutes. If it passes that test, then I'll load up the camera and go diving.

Regards
Peter
I'm awaiting your first pix with your new rig with 'bated breath, Peter.
Get some good ones!
Rick

MoonWrasse:
I recall the housing for my Sony suggested testing in a deep bucket, say a garbage can filled with water.
My initial test of my PT-016 housing was the kitchen sink. Now I've upgraded and test in a lemonade pitcher that puts the camera about 1' underwater. It's quick and easy enough, that I do it each and every time I open the housing.

As others have noted, most leaks seem to happen in the first few feet of water.

I have the same L&M Mako Housing for my PC-350. I put it in the bathtub for a few hours without the camera. I also put a folded up paper towel in there to see if there was any moisture on the paper towel.

Doing this is not being "overly cautious." It's being smart!
I would rather know if my housing is going to leak in the bathtub before I put my camera inside the housing and take it into open water.

After the bathtub test, I took it into a 13' deep pool.

You should also think about buying a Drying Agent "Moisture Muncher." You should be able to get them at a dive shop that sells housings. They are little packages of crystals that are in their own little package. They fit nicely in the housing right next to your camera.

I'm going to copy what the instructions say.....

<Moisture Muncher will only be effective when used inside an airtight container (i.e., <waterproof case, thick, reseal able plastic bags, etc.) along with valuables you want to <keep dry. The area inside the container will become moisture free. Every time the <container is opened, the moisture level will rise again. When you close the container, <Moisture Muncher can once again remove the moisture in the container. The more times <you open the airtight container, the faster the indicating crystals will turn pink. (the <crystals start out blue).

You can also reuse these twice. Once the crystals turn pink, you can bake the packs in an oven no more than 93 degrees for a couple of hours. The crystals turn blue again.

Have fun with your new housing. I love mine!

Back
Top Bottom