What did you learn about CCR selection after ___X___hours?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just went to the techme page to check out the system and it looks pretty cool. Let me see if I understand right… provided I have a gland to run the harness through I could add a couple of solid state cells to my unit and plug a four pin shearwater cable in and be good to go? If that’s the case it seems like an amazing tool for double checking or even verifying the oxygen calibration of galvanic cells (I don’t think I could switch all the way because my solenoid wouldn’t run right with the new system and it requires a five pin anyway).

Do not forget that you will need one of the "solid boxes" that are also listed on the TecMe website - you need power for the cells and DAC converter (4 pin is an analog connection). That is why one needs that extra cabling gland if I understand correctly.
But other than that, its seems like as close to "plug & play" as it gets at the moment.

I suspect that it might be some of the European manufacturers that take up the solid state cells first - maybe JJ or XCCR
Wonder if the CE approval and testing would affect that. Could be expensive.

I thought I learned something after 30 hours but that's fake news.

Carry on.

I thought I learned something after 30 hours but that's fake news.

Carry on.
Brilliant. Well said.

Then at 50 hours... nope. 100 hours... getting better.

At over 200 hours I've learned that things can and will go horribly wrong and complacency will ruin your day resulting in a seriously bruised and battered ego.

Be humble.

Shortly after I took my CCR class, I brought it down to Florida to go cave diving and I learned more about what needed to change in that week or two than I thought possible. Wibble mentioned going around things instead of over them, well that is obviously not an option in cave diving! I came back with a laundry list of stuff to improve, most of it having to do with moving things around to improve trim and dial in precise neutral buoyancy as every extra pound results in dil wasted. I had a backmount unit with 2 19's and it became apparent that the suit and wing should run off the bailout tanks, for starters. Now things are much more dialed in out of the box, but doing some dives with lots of depth changes will reveal much more than square profile dives. It also gets you anticipating the PPO2 changes and planning ahead. Good luck all!

About to turn over 100 hours since switching to CCR last year. Random thoughts:

- There are units that in certain conditions will be better than mine
- There are units that in certain conditions will be worse than mine
- My unit will do fine if I continue diving regularly and keep on learning
- There is a good chance that I'll have another CCR
- I am glad that I avoided analysis paralysis and spent less time reading SB and more time diving
- Still learning... a lot...
- If I had to do it over again, I'd still get the best unit I could afford and dive the crap out of it
- Some units will trim better than others... but it does not mean you can't fix the trim
- Glad I got a NERD
- Must increase diligence and set standards higher as the number of hours increases
- CCR aligns with my love of tools, processes, and gear
- I love to maintain my unit... taking it apart, cleaning, and inspecting is relaxing

Biggest regret? Not switching to CCR sooner.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom