What did you learn about CCR selection after ___X___hours?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Source on this? Heard the same but haven't seen concrete info on any specifics regarding the Poseidon / PyroScience exclusivity agreement or any expiration thereof.
Martin gave me the heads up last November when he was out in the Red Sea, and now they are available on his website along with a nifty box that provides the power for the cell so it can be mounted in a T piece, and the circuit boards etc to read the cell and interpret it for a Shearwater to be able to read it via Fischer cable. See Diving O2 sensor

Martin gave me the heads up last November when he was out in the Red Sea, and now they are available on his website along with a nifty box that provides the power for the cell so it can be mounted in a T piece, and the circuit boards etc to read the cell and interpret it for a Shearwater to be able to read it via Fischer cable. See Diving O2 sensor

Yup, seem they've been available for quite a while, and at less than half the price of Poseidon ones...even less if you do not have to pay VAT. Apparently the very same sensors as Poseidon, only difference is firmware (i.e. won't work on Poseidon xD). And can be easily integrated into most of the rebreathers apparently and quite easily. Sadly manufacturers/Shearwater do not seem to be that interested it seems...or maybe its the "let's wait for somebody else to be the first" thing. No clue. Everybody talked about them for years and now when they are around, everybody hangs back or so it seems.

Yup, seem they've been available for quite a while. Apparently the very same sensors as Poseidon, only difference is firmware (i.e. won't work on Poseidon xD). And can be easily integrated into most of the rebreathers apparently and quite easily. Sadly manufacturers/Shearwater do not seem to be that interested it seems...or maybe its the "let's wait for somebody else to be the first" thing. No clue. Everybody talked about them for years and now when they are around, everybody hangs back or so it seems.
They really only become available for other rebreather manufacturers to use late last year once Poseidon's exclusivity ended. Hopefully other CCR manufacturers adopt them as they are brilliant to use.

They really only become available for other rebreather manufacturers to use late last year once Poseidon's exclusivity ended. Hopefully other CCR manufacturers adopt them as they are brilliant to use.

I do hope so, about time the Achilles heel of rebreathers is finally taken care of :)
Pestered Dive Rite and Shearwater about those earlier in the year, so far no news but who knows what's cooking.

I suspect that it might be some of the European manufacturers that take up the solid state cells first - maybe JJ or XCCR

In no particular order but here’s some of my own .02psi I wasn’t really aware of beforehand. I dont think my chop is the end all be all but I’m not really in a big hurry to change even though I bought it with a WAG

Things I like:

Simplicity
Dil-out / bailuent for the large volumes
EACs
Modularity
Lightweight / compact
Divesoft handset / controllers
Availability of service and parts
Using ~OTS components

Don’t like:

Chest clutter
Long hose trapped by the loop (my buddies’ rigs)
Not having a long hose in standard location
small onboard dil bottles
T-pieces on the loop
Housings that trap sediment near sealing surfaces (looking at you JJ)
Using oddball tanks
Undesirable COG / COB location

I just went to the techme page to check out the system and it looks pretty cool. Let me see if I understand right… provided I have a gland to run the harness through I could add a couple of solid state cells to my unit and plug a four pin shearwater cable in and be good to go? If that’s the case it seems like an amazing tool for double checking or even verifying the oxygen calibration of galvanic cells (I don’t think I could switch all the way because my solenoid wouldn’t run right with the new system and it requires a five pin anyway).

I just went to the techme page to check out the system and it looks pretty cool. Let me see if I understand right… provided I have a gland to run the harness through I could add a couple of solid state cells to my unit and plug a four pin shearwater cable in and be good to go? If that’s the case it seems like an amazing tool for double checking or even verifying the oxygen calibration of galvanic cells (I don’t think I could switch all the way because my solenoid wouldn’t run right with the new system and it requires a five pin anyway).
The solid state sensor requires power, the 4 pin wont power it so no.

I don't think it is quite that easy but I'm not an expert in this sort of stuff. My plan is to get Martin's "ensemble" including one of his counterlung T-pieces that he makes for rebreathers that can have a cell fitted to it, and then fit that T-piece to the inhale counterlung with a solid state cell and Fischer cable it to a Shearwater Nerd2

Back
Top Bottom