what do i need to know???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bamagreg:
Be careful where you go for fresh water fish. I don't think it is legal to hunt in fresh water in Texas, at least not for most species. The dive shop (Hydorsports Scuba) in Lake Jackson Texas, 1 hour south of Houston near Freeport offers a spear fishing class. It consists of classroom instruction and gulf water instruction. Spearfishing is a fun, challanging and addictive activity, good luck.

Greg

Where can I find out where and what I can shoot? I'm not really even a fisher, so I just don't know where to ask.

I will try spearboard.com. If I was gonna get a new (cheaper) speargun for a beginner, what would some suggestions be?
Jo

I would start at your LDS. An Underwater Hunter class in your area should cover the local regs. Personally I like the pole spear. It doesn't travel far so for low viz its good. I am not the biggest hunter, I am big on only killing what I plan on eating and no more. No kill for the sake of killing.

if you think you will be only spearing once in a while.... like only a couple times a year then most shop guns jbl biller etc. should be fine. if you think you will get the bug and want to do it often as you can then I suggest buying something very nice that you will not outgrow. maybe a spearfishing specialties or a riffe or a wong. the better guns will start out around 300 bucks up to a grand for a really nice wong although you can get into a wong for 600.00 or so. riffes are nice guns too for a couple hundred less than a wong most run in the 450 range. no substitute for quality when diving imo

I had no idea that they were so expensive. My Dad quit diving and just gave me his old one. My extent of knowledge is looking at the spear he gave me..... My LDS (and none in the area) sell them.

scubajoh44:
I had no idea that they were so expensive. My Dad quit diving and just gave me his old one. My extent of knowledge is looking at the spear he gave me..... My LDS (and none in the area) sell them.

Is anything worthwhile ever cheep!!!! Gotta be some sort of dive shop reasonably close.

There are 2 dive shops here, but they do not sell or teach spearfishing.

what are you needing from the dive shop? if you are looking for a gun there are plenty of places to buy one online. if you are looking to buy parts for your gun your dad gave you that might be a tough one. shafts can be bought from ray odor if it is a common shaft if you have no idea what you have then it will need someone to look at it to tell you what it is. post up some pics if that is the case

I don't guess I'm really needing anything but some common sense advice and local laws on what I can do. I'm concentrating on my IDC/IE for now. I'll get more into it once I get back from that. It seems like it will be really fun if I can figure out how to use it safely while following hunting regulations.
Jo

Work on your IDC/IE, it doesn't sound as if you are in a big hunting area anyway. Good luck, not that its needed

scubajoh44:
It seems like it will be really fun if I can figure out how to use it safely while following hunting regulations.
Jo

It is a huge sport, and adding it to your resume will differentiate you from other instructors that don't offer it. There many many male and female prospects that want to get certified just to spearfish. There are very few instructors who list this as one of their skills to offer and will increase your marketability greatly.

On the subject of Texas freshwater spearfishing, it is allowed on nongame fish like some catfish which are good eating. Here is a link to a pdf for some additional information. Sounds like you have a very good career path ahead of you!!

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_bk_w7000_0798.pdf

Back
Top Bottom