What do you bring on a dive boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt_NJ

Reaction score
Okay so i've not done any dive's off a boat in cold water yet so I was wondering what do you bring with you on the boat?

And I mean aside from your Gear that you get in the water with. The items that I can think of are:

Towell/Blanket
Sweater - Is that needed?
Cooler for lunch
Cooler for catch - Again is that needed or is it someting you can leave in your car and grab when the boat gets back in? (in my case it's probably very optomistic to assume I would catch anything but a cold)

What else is usefull to have?

Depends on what kind of boat. If on a RIB I don't bring anything except the divegear (which I'm wearing), because everything will get wet! And as long as I keep the drysuit on in the surface interval, I will stay warm (i.e no need for towel/blanket or sweater). I count on the boat crew (skipper) to bring radio, telephone, oxybox, hot coffee on thermos, tools to fix small problems with (like knife, monkey wrench etc), and spareparts (like o-rings).

- Dive gear (Everything you own, never know what you'll need/want...)
- Bonine/Dramamine/Triptone (What goes down, might come up.)
- C-cards and log book (No card, and you're a bubble watcher...)
- Save-a-dive kit (Should be part of everything you own, but just in case...)
- Lunch/snacks/drinks (Although a few boats provide them...)
- Boat coat or something else wind/water resistant (The water ain't the only cold part of the trip...)
- Cooler for catch (Optimistic? Sure, but the day you don't bring it...)
- Catch bag/spear gun/pole spear (Well, as long as you have that cooler with you...)
- Beer (Let's face it, you'll probably have some room in the cooler...)
- A couple of $10's for the crew (Note, I said a couple of $10's...)

Hope to see you out there!

First, check with the boat/shop to find out if the boat has coolers for food and/or your catch. Check the wx to determine clothing. And, many boats have a cabin but they're not always roomy enough for all divers. ALWAYS bring water. Hat. Sunglasses. Keep in mind you'll probably be driving in tourist traffic after the dive, specially on a weekend. Sunscreen can save you money at the dermatologist's a few years down the road.

RJP:
- Save-a-dive kit (Should be part of everything you own, but just in case...)

i am starting to get tired weeding down my main Save-a-dive-kit for boat dives (small tool box to small pouch). Do the captains get pissed if you bring a big honking SAD on board, say on NJ charters?

piikki:
i am starting to get tired weeding down my main Save-a-dive-kit for boat dives (small tool box to small pouch). Do the captains get pissed if you bring a big honking SAD on board, say on NJ charters?

Depends on the boat. We have enough room for 18 divers to bring a cooler, gear bags, a milk crate and a handtruck if you want. Bring what you like!

A six-pack boat? Better pack light!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom