What do you consider "gimmick" gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my mind, I've always defined a "gimmick" as:

A product in search of a market.

In other words, there's no real need for the product – but they're trying to drum up support for it in order to create a market for same. Good example would be my all-time favorite in this category; the egg scrambler.

This was a device that someone paid some inexpensive market research on. Somehow, they determined that somewhere along about 3 AM, after an evening out on the town I would be sitting in front of my TV thinking "I really want to scramble an egg. But, I don't want to take it out of the shell!"

Now the logical thing to consider is this: just how are you going to cook then eat that egg if you don't take it out of shell?

See now for me this is not a gimmick, but only when I'm harvesting scallops. Some rock scallops get quite big and they attach themselves firmly to rocks almost like they were JB welded to the rock. The only way to get them off is to sneak up on them and slip a large knife into the shell before they slam shut. Once the knife is in between the two shells it has to be big enough to be able to cut the meat loose from one side so the shell can be pried open and the rest of the meat removed in tact. A blade in the 7" range works very well for this. Some of those shells get up to 7"-8" wide and small short knives just wont reach in far enough. But yes, there is a huge controversy, and big knives have become quite the laughing stock and regarded as "redneck" or "ignoramus" by certain diving groups. But if used as a tool for certain applications (such as scallop harvesting) they can't really be substituted.Now if someone is wearing one just trying to look cool and that's the only reason then I'd say they might want to rethink their gear choice before they become material for ridicule.
How are you supposed to cut the bad guy's air hose if you don't have a BFK?

I think tanks are overrated. Also, regulators.

PS: Am I supposed to take this post seriously?

I think tanks are overrated. Also, regulators.

PS: Am I supposed to take this post seriously?
A lot of people think the same way and have gone to freediving. And there are people who think that freedive gear is too gimmicky so they've gone to freestyle, no added gear except a bathing suit. Then there are people who think a bathing suit is too gimmicky and believe people should only dive completely naked with no gear whatsoever.

A lot of people think the same way and have gone to freediving. And there are people who think that freedive gear is too gimmicky so they've gone to freestyle, no added gear except a bathing suit. Then there are people who think a bathing suit is too gimmicky and believe people should only dive completely naked with no gear whatsoever.

I swear to god if I'm ever diving and some naked guy comes after me without tanks or any gear I'll stab him in the eye.

"The eyes are the groin of the head." (Dwight Schrute)

Hipsters, man.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom