What do you drive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I drive this weird little thing. It’s gone to the coast twice now and makes a fine dive vehicle. Power is not great, not really a highway vehicle, but it’s a real truck with a 2L engine not a kie truck. New doors and glass just showed up from Japan and I’m planning an expensive restoration this summer.

Attachments

• AD6752C9-33C2-4F0F-BF36-F5B9980E5601.jpeg
    AD6752C9-33C2-4F0F-BF36-F5B9980E5601.jpeg
    128 KB · Views: 98
I have a Toyota Highlander. It works great for scuba but I don’t really dive locally anyway. I also have 2 motos but just sold 1 last week. Those are horrible for carrying anything. :wink:

you may want to look at a Subaru Impreza/Outback/Forester if you don’t want a full van or large SUV. Crossover hatchback i guess? Impreza is the smaller of the 3 and you can fold seats down. Mazda CX-5 would be good as well.
Had an Impreza up until a year ago when we swapped it for a Honda Civic.
The Impreza was great, easy to load/unload the trunk and you could use the trunk for gearing up, not to mention their amazing 4wd...
The Civic has a much larger trunk (I can fit 2 full kits with doubles and a gas grill in there) but it's "sunk down" so you absolutely can not use it to assist you in gearing up, also makes it harder to unload since you can't just slide stuff out, you have to lift it up.
I've been forced to don my BPW sitting on the ground like an idiot, bit of a hassle sometimes going from sitting on your arse to standing when you're lugging heavy steel doubles on your back..

Definitely getting a Subaru again when it's time for a new ride.

You American Toyota lovers haven't experienced the best. The Hilux, sold all over the world, except America is the bad ass little brother of the Tacoma. I own both. The Tacoma is a bit of a rattle trap.

I drive a S(c)ubaru Forester and theres plenty of room for two divers plus all their gear. Could probably do three divers and gear but that would be getting a little tight depending on how much gear.

I have seen a BMW Z3 towing a small trailer with scuba gear in it at the local quarry.

The subway to an airplane. Then usually scooters.

Had an Impreza up until a year ago when we swapped it for a Honda Civic.
The Impreza was great, easy to load/unload the trunk and you could use the trunk for gearing up, not to mention their amazing 4wd...
The Civic has a much larger trunk (I can fit 2 full kits with doubles and a gas grill in there) but it's "sunk down" so you absolutely can not use it to assist you in gearing up, also makes it harder to unload since you can't just slide stuff out, you have to lift it up.
I've been forced to don my BPW sitting on the ground like an idiot, bit of a hassle sometimes going from sitting on your arse to standing when you're lugging heavy steel doubles on your back..

Definitely getting a Subaru again when it's time for a new ride.
All I can say about doubles and dive vehicles: God bless tailgates!

I currently drive a Golf sportsvan. It's just enough to go diving with two people on holiday. No room for an extra passenger though if you're bringing multiple tanks or stages. If I had to buy a compact car for diving gear I'd probably buy a Citroen Berlingo or a Skoda Yeti.

Any stationwagon of any model will work aswell for diving tbh. Audi a4 avant/Golf stationwagen or Passat/Volvo v60/ etc.

If I had tons of money I'd probably buy the volvo xc90 or new Peugeot 3008 to go diving.

Other beautiful fun cars I considered buying but were far outside of my budget (because I don't drive stick and that raises the price alot here in Europe)
are the SEAT Ateca, KIA Sportage, JEEP Compass, Skoda Kodiaq. Another car that is a bit less sexy, but has tons of room is the Renault Espace.

In my opinion the most versatile 'small car' for diving is the Skoda Yeti. You can remove all the seats and make it a van, store the seats in your garage and just make it a family car after you've unloaded all your scuba stuff. It's not the sexiest car on earth, but it's quirky.

My last car was totally impractical as a dive wagon, although I still managed to get a twinset, two stages and drysuit in with a bit of careful loading. However, if my buddy wanted a lift it was strictly freediving for us.

Became more sensible a couple of years ago so traded in against a Jaguar E Pace. Boring but practical.
IMG-0445.JPG

10 year old Camry Hybrid. Can carry me and a dive buddy and all our gear to the coast (140 miles away) and back and leave me with half a tank of gas.

Subaru Forester for road trips, just big enough for two people, dive gear, tanks and luggage with great gas mileage. You can gear up from the back for shore dives also. The Wife's Toyota Tacoma is great for local shore dives and the tailgate is the perfect height for getting into your gear but it gets bad gas mileage so no good for road trips. The next vehicle will probably be a Jeep Gladiator with the Diesel engine, big enough to carry 4 people and their gear plus at least 28 mpg.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom