What do you expect from a dive site briefing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have to say that I wish all site briefings I have had were always this thorough as some of the ones described above. On a recent boat trip in S. Florida, the capt got on a few people's cases (in a kind yet direct way) when they were too busy with gear and not listening to his portion of the briefing. I am glad he did it partially because it demonstrates a commitment to safety, but more importantly because I cannot process everything he would have been saying with people nearby holding side conversations or making too much noise with gear.

I want depth, bottom composition, current speed and direction if different at depth, what the recall signal is, how much time I have and what hazardous life is common if any. Other than that it's up to me to plan the dive and decide what I want to see. I try to avoid ops that's put a guide in the water. One of the best that did was in Puerto Rico. Gave the briefing. We got in, he got the group together and waved goodbye to me and my student.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I am an invitation only private boat that has been rigged for Diving the NJ.

Everyone gets a boat briefing the first time out (Epirb,VHF,Ditch Bag, life vests, fire ext, liferaft, head, washdowns,first aid, and general boat rules). For each dive - we give a depth and confirm run times with everyone, and if there are known hazards - we talk about those as well. Other than that - my tie in diver has Communications and gives us a report on temp, current, tie in location, and obstacles that he sees that everyone should be aware of, etc.

No guided tour.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom