What do you have in your tool box?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

letterboy

I'm the reasonable one
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
So I was doing some searches as I am looking to gather the PROPER tools for reg servicing.

I have been doing basic maintenance on my Atomics for a couple of years now. I have moved to SP MK17/G250V's for my doubles and Atomic Z2 and B2's for my singles set-ups.

I am looking to specialize and simplify my tool box that I have now as it is a seemingly random jumble off picks, wrenches, screwdrivers etc.

I am not looking to spend thousands as I see you can do while looking through Scuba Tools .

I know I need to pick up a reg service book, there are several out there. Do they all cover the same regs and if so what regs? I didn't see on the scubatools site where it tells what regs the manual covered. I see on the airspeedpress site where they list the regs covered in their book, but the MK17 or G250V is not on the list, are they similiar enough to other regs they don't list it?

now onto specialized tools, another thread got me thinking about the tools I would need, adjustment widgets and hum dingers etc . . . What are the common/must have tools that you are using in your tool boxes? What kind of other items, vise etc?

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance with this!

-John

I'm afraid I have that random jumble of tools that I have assembled over the years. But a few specifics I would recommend are the scubatools blue handled pick set (especially the double hook pick), a yoke nut socket, and the multi tool (I made my own but not worth all the effort).

Reg Savey use Scubapro regs in all the diagrams. But with a few exception, so many regs are quite similar that it does not matter too much. You will want to find schematics for your specific regs but that is just a matter of searching and asking. Harlow's book is probably more useful to the DIYer.

I was happy I got both Harlow's and Pete Wolfinger's books. They take a slightly different approach to getting you the information. Once you get a general idea of how everything works it's possible to "read" the specific manual and schematic and figure out how your knowledge applies to your specific regs. Hope that that made sense :)

I've just started dappling with servicing my own regs and have so far bought exactly what awap listed. I also bought a small IP gauge and Scubastore.coms Wiha driver kit, a hook spanner (need it for Apeks), Hakko sidecutters (best zip tie cutters *ever*), first stage handle and a Schrader valve tool. I'm an admitted tool addict :)

I'm hankering for a magnehelic but given the cost I should probably just build a U-tube manometer.

Henrik

Hey LetterBoy:

I don't know of the specific tools for ScubaPro but I service my own Apeks regulators. I like them because there are really no Apeks' specific tools aside from the one I made on the attached link.

Here's my regulator mounting adapter which provides a third hand when servicing your first stage. If you have access to a lathe but need a piece of hex brass, PM me. The adapter is mounted in my shop vise.

I have a few of scubatools' blue handle picks but honestly I am fearful of scratching my stuff up (kinda' heavy handed) so I went ahead and bought a brass set from Mcmaster Carr (PN 9451K65). I do have a dull point blue handled pick which I can use as a seat extractor tool.

I have two size specific pin spanners and I have an adjustable pin spanner but I doubt I'd ever use it unless I lost my two sized ones. You never know when you might need it though, so I kept it just in case.

An IP gauge is handy and really, necessary. Mine plugs into my LP hose but you can get one that goes on an inline adjustment tool. I have an adjustment tool as well but I have yet to use is this year (I got it a few months ago). You can get by without the latter.

I have an ultrasonic cleaner but you can get by without one and I use Crystal Simple Green as my degreaser. A toothbrush, hot water, some regular Simple Green and some elbow grease is just as good but just a little bit more time is involved. Rinse with copious amounts of water. Speaking of liquids, I also use white vinegar for corrosion and a lubricant (Cristolube but I want to try Tribolube) where indicated.

Various combination wrenches, a torque wrench, Allen keys, nippers, needlenose pliers, a ruler, various sized tubs and containers, and a strap wrench (hey you never know) round out my tools.

I use the disposable blue shop towels and scuba tank compressed gas for dusting and drying.

And finally, I think, I use Thomas & Betts zip ties for my mouthpieces. Tobin turned me on to these after I saw he used them for his inflator assemblies and you can get them at MC as well (PN 6614K53).

No really finally, no working on your scuba tanks. I fear that you'd see a tank explode. :D

With kind regards,
Thomas

hey thomas..i was wondering if you know which spanner from scubatools will fit my apex atx 50 1st stage..im thinking its #6 but not for sure...

thanks

Hi mazziekhan:

Yup that's the one but I do not have any spanners from scubatools. I have read, not heard that they are not up to snuff when compared to their other tools. YMMV though. The last thing you want to do is have the pin deform or slip while your trying to disassemble your first stage. Can you say unintentional but custom pin striping? :depressed:

My spanners are one piece, except for the adjustable which is two piece (but pinned to pivot) but the most important are they are the right size and the pin is the same piece of metal as the handle (I think ST uses an aluminum handle and then puts a steel pin in). I have a Gedore (two actually) and an adjustable Armstrong pin spanners. Size 40/42 and forged (I think mine are forged and not cast?).

And finally, when I use my spanners for assembly and disassembly, I put a piece of purple or blue painter's tape on the diaphragm clamp just to be sure that I don't mar it (even though the wrenches fit nicely I can be a brute).

I hope this helps.

With kind regards,
Thomas

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom