what do you need a permit or license for?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mmasar1

Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone can tell me weather i need a license for the following

Scollop.
lobster-----( i know this is a yes)
spear fishing with a gun
spear fishing with a pole
clamming

Are they state or local permits? seasons? Thanks

Welcome to the board.
It depends on the state you are in and somewhat on what you are gathering but in general yes you do. For example, in NC you would need a license for the fish but not for the clams or scollops (under a certain amount). Some fish have creel and size limits, others do not. Your going to have to find the regulations for the particular region you intend to hunt.

Out here in Washington the answer is yes to all (except for lobster don't have those). And we are limited to the where, how much as well as the when. Most often where ever you would but your license you would find the rule book.

Yes to all in california, some areas will also require additional stamps, always best as mentioned to carefully read the local regulations and check with the local stores before taking ANYTHING out of the water.

For me in Florida:

Std FL Salt Water fishing License, Lobster & Stone Crab stamp

Here are the State of FL regulations

Thanks for the info....i am looking for the regs for Mass. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

For Mass,

Scollop Depends upon the town or city
lobster $40 a yr. residents or people that own at least $5K of property in MA
spear fishing with a gun only in the ocean, no permit
spear fishing with a pole only in the ocean, no permit
clamming Depends upon the town or city

Fish and shell fish size & season same as for non divers. Stripped bass cannot be speared. Lobster is limited to 15 a day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom