What do you pay for your reg service?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First, totally don't agree with johnnythan.
Next, while you always have to be primarily concerned with the quality of work done, you don't want to get ripped off. (My LDS does it for $60... CANADIAN !) So needless to say, i think that $100 plus parts is a rip off. Sorry.

rescuediver009:
First, totally don't agree with johnnythan.

I'm confused. Was this a typo? If not, what did you disagree with? The link (it worked OK for me) or the question?

The going rate around here (Orlando) is around $20 per stage, plus parts - which can add up pretty quick to a fast $100. Funny thing about reg servicing - the better you take care of your gear, the less likelyhood you would need to do a service every year. The last couple of times I've had my regs serviced the parts that came out looked virtually new - I'm really anal about cleaning my gear after dives (ala soaking it in a hot bath of water to dissolve the salts from the ocean). Of course, it really may depend on how often you dive in a year - I only do about 10-20 dives a year if I'm lucky.

Course - it also depends on the design of the reg too - having a friend who was a tech at a shop I've seen some fairly interesting reg designs (and copies of those designs as well :wink: ) - some are definitely designed better than others!

I also am not sure what RescueDiver disagrees with about Johnnythan's comments. I just got my Vance Harlow's Reg Repair Manual and Oxygen Hackers Guide and they are great. Wish I would have known about them sooner. In my opinion, every diver that wants to understand his equipment should own them. I definitely am going to start building up my inventory of specialized tools needed for reg repair. I found a first stage holder on eBay and bought that. Don't mean to hijack this thread, but anyone know where to get spanners, collars and other tools?

awap:
Check before you drop them off. Be prepared for anything from a little less than $50 to well over $100.

If performance is good, you may want to wait until after your dives. Nothing creates more problems with well cared for, working regulators than an annual service.

I can verify this! I took my perfectly working reg in for service in April - it's now back at the shop for the third time since, and still isn't working properly.

Most shops around here charge about $25 per stage. Im thinking of getting some dive rite regs so I can do it myself though...

I paid $100 or so for my USD Conshelf SE3, octo, and gages. However, I just learned how to overhaul them myself (from a certified USD/Aqualung technician of course).

I need a couple of tools, then I'll probably start doing them myself.

garyfotodiver:
I paid $100 or so for my USD Conshelf SE3, octo, and gages. However, I just learned how to overhaul them myself (from a certified USD/Aqualung technician of course).

I need a couple of tools, then I'll probably start doing them myself.

Scuba Tools
http://www.scubatools.com/

Service $78 from us if you need Atomic trained technicians. Includes parts & labor
add $28 for M1 or T2 models.

awap:
I'm confused. Was this a typo? If not, what did you disagree with? The link (it worked OK for me) or the question?

I meant that I think that people simply deciding to tear into life support equipment because they have deep pockets and short arms. Think about it. You are paying someone to service life support equipment. So while I can understand those who deal with incompitance, I think that you can also easy find a good place to do it. Even if it means shipping it away. Postage is relatively cheap.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom