What do you think of Sea World's new ad?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sea Save Foundation

Contributor
Reaction score

Attachments

• orca-teeth-37.jpg
    orca-teeth-37.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 315
I recently visited Sea World, the first time I've gone to a "marine park" since St. Augustine's Marineland back about 1954. As a marine biologist, I was skeptical but wanted to see the operation for myself.

This vet MAY be accurate on this single issue. I don't have the veterinary expertise to determine that. It is possible the orcas at Sea World live comparable durations to those in the wild. They are given health care which those in the wild do not receive and they are not subjected to the same factors those in the wild may experience.

However, the issue for most of us is the containment of a potentially wide ranging, sentient, social mammal in captivity. I don't think Sea World can adequately address this concern. I was even more appalled at the enclosures and tanks for the polar bear (which appeared to be exhibiting abnormal behavior), the belugas and the walrus among others.

Personally there is nothing that they can say that will make me think any better of that place. I have complete and total contempt for them and they won't be getting one dime from me.

Back
Top Bottom