What do you want in Diver Charter Service?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A head that does smell as bad as the ones in the dive bars I went to in college.

10 minutes to take off my gear and secure it, even if I am the last one up the ladder.

The 10 minutes is more important than the head! Every dive boat I have ever been on is so busy trying to get back at the end of the day that they are taking off before I get a chance to secure my gear properly.

I spend a lot of money on dive trips, and would be willing to spend a few extra bucks to ride on a decent boat with creature comforts and a crew that is not rushing me around.

I agree.... I hate to be rushed when i am trying to have some fun!!
IKe

Assuming you are talking about a day trip boat vs a liveaboard:
1) Price. But I also consider what is included and if there are a lot of other divers or if the number is limited to less than 10. I have been on a boat that charged for drinks and snacks after diving. I would have brought my own or at least some money if I had known ahead of time. Is crew open to letting divers choose to stay on a site or insistent on moving on to a different site?
2) I like the idea of having scooters available for rent, but you do run into a problem if someone doesn't know how to dive with them and gets into trouble with one. Limiting their use to snorkeling only might alieviate that possible liability.
3) larger camera table with a generous lip around the edge. Tender to retrieve tired current-carried divers. Sending a DM out to you to assist you to swim back doesn't work when you are totally worn out. (Happened on a recent trip to a fellow diver.)

The charters I run are on the Cooper River. Divers that come here are looking for Fossils and Artifacts. We are working on building another boat from scratch using all the great ideas that previous divers have given on past charters and the info you are giving me here.
The visibility here is usually minimum (1-3ft) at 30 feet. And the current can be crazy , around 3 knots. We handle 6 divers, but like it when there are only 4. I allow my charters to choose thier dive site and how long they stay. I do not rush them. I do guide them to the best sites, and recommend the best dive times so they will not be in strong currents. I try and put them where they will bring in the best stuff while making it very enjoyable.
Enough of that...sounds like a commercial.
Has anyone here been on a small charter like mine? Does it make it more appealing for the boat to look neat and taken care of? Newer engine? Good radio? Storage areas? Anything else i need to focus on?
Thanks again guys!
IKE

I guess up here in PNW I am a bit spoiled by our local charters.
The price is reasonable for 2 dives.
The crew helps us pack on our gear and stow it. Then at the end of the day they help take it all back off.
The dive sites are determined on the day due to currents, tides, weather and skill of divers.
There is plenty of drinking water, coffee, tea and cocoa. Chips, cookies and what not are available to graze on. Hot soup and sandwhiches (which you make yourself) are available after the first dive.
The boat is clean, in good condition and well heated. Hot water is available for gloves, hoods and wet suit divers.
All in all a well run operation, friendly crew and lots of food.
K

So the bulk of your clientelle are in scientific research or archaeology from the description of the dive trips?

I have some experience of small expeditions and although I'm not very bookish (nor am I a scientist), I always noted that everyone else had laptops or other gadgets that they wanted to use during the trips. Facilities to enable them - along with places to write, take notes, keep records while info is still fresh in their minds - would be a great plus.

On a more general note about small trips: getting along with your fellow divers makes for a nicer trip and this is where the good facilitator/leader/divemaster can make the difference. Something simple as a cup of coffee and a friendly chat first thing is inexpehsive but goes a long way.

sgtkat69:
Has anyone here been on a small charter like mine? Does it make it more appealing for the boat to look neat and taken care of? Newer engine? Good radio? Storage areas? Anything else i need to focus on?
Thanks again guys!
IKE

Neat and well taken care of means a lot to me, and I am willing to pay more to go out on a such a boat v. a comparable sloppy fishing boat that also hauls divers. Age of engine doesn't concern me if it runs well. The radio is something I am rarely aware of as a non-boater. Storage is very important. I have yet to be on a boat that I didn't find myself seriously cramped when securing/stowing my gear. Good exit and entrance points are also a big plus. An enclosed area where you can get out of the weather is also nice if it turns nasty. A semi-comfortable place to sit between would probably be asking too much from what I have seen.

I typically spend $65-$95 for local charters (under 3 hour drive). None of which have met all my expectations. Is it any wonder I am looking at buying a dive kayak as a possible alternative for some of the closer wrecks.

Once again, thanks for the information. This is a great forum! I have put up a temporary website, until I have finished the main one. www.darkwateradventures.com check it out if you are headed to South Carolina to dive the Cooper River.
Ike

How many of you do much diving in the winter months or use dry suits? Our water temp is around 60-64 right now? Who would dive in that? I froze my behind off last time. I guess i need a dry suit!
Ike

Back
Top Bottom