What do you wear under a wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chip Elliott

Connecticut Yankee
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have been searching for this answer, but can't find it here.

What do you wear under your wetsuit? I wouldn't think that one just goes "au naturale" but who knows? :)

Do you wear your swim trunks? Trunks and a t-shirt? Rash guard shirt? Lycra thingy?

Thanks!

Short scuba dives...(less than 40 minutes) anything.
Free diving for 4-6 hours in a wetsuit.... commando. No need to soak anything else in urine.

Do you wear your swim trunks? Trunks and a t-shirt? Rash guard shirt? Lycra thingy?
For me, it depends on the suit. Lavacore? I wear shorts or nothing. Neoprene? I wear a lyrca skin. I've worn nothing a time or two (under lavacore or neoprene), but that's not my normal garb.

Basically, if it's a tight fitting suit a lyrca skin can help a great deal with don/doff. If it's not all that tight, then it doesn't matter. That's how I play it.

When buying my initial gear my LDS said buying a wetsuit would allow me to train with it. So I purchased a 7mm one piece (Henderson) and it is tight. Sounds like lycra skin is the way to go.

I have been searching for this answer, but can't find it here.

What do you wear under your wetsuit? I wouldn't think that one just goes "au naturale" but who knows? :)

Thanks!

Depends: if I'm walking to the boat in it, there may be nothing, but I normally don't so it's the speedos. As the week goes on: lycra top on the 2nd dive usually.

just wear a speedso bathing suit just in case you want to peel it of between dives or after especially when its warm out ,you dont want heat stroke

rash guard & board shorts.

Wear something skin tight under a wetsuit. While I see lots of guys wear board shorts, they bunch up under the suit. The suit needs to sit flush against your skin to limit water movement. Competition swim attire is best. A lycra skin may ease the donning of a wetsuit.

Back
Top Bottom