What do you wish you had known BEFORE you went to Lembeh/Lembeh Resort?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am also heading to Lembeh next week.

What is the current water temp.
Not sure whether i will bring my 3mm +vest or 7/5 mm.

I also like nudibranchs in general, but by the end of the trip, I too was kind of tired of them. And was getting there as well with the frog fish. I remember the guide pointed me to a giant frogfish, and my reaction was only, "Oh, OK", and I immediately moved on. Only in Lembeh!! :wink:

My theory--hardly an original--is that we humans react most favorably to fellow creatures with some kind of recognizable face. Nudibranchs are beautiful, but which end is what? But frogfishes? They've got a face only a mother could love! And they come in so many colors (I've only got a green and a yellow so far for this imagined collection.) And while I've seen one on the move, I've never seen one eating--perhaps my luck will change in Lembeh. I don't know why we love to see stuff eating other stuff, but it's a simple truth that we do.

---------- Post added December 12th, 2012 at 08:53 PM ----------

MA:
Oh also maybe take a vest along. YOu will find yourself doing very long dives and just hangin there watching things, you can get a little cool towards the end of those long dives. Do more night dives!!

Upthread another poster said it was at 80-82 two weeks ago...and now, I wonder? I've got a new 3 and a vest and a hood. I hope that's enough. Does it get chilly between dives on the boat? Should I bring a poncho for rain or something like that?

This is probably a stupid question, but what about at night? Not going to need a sweater, am I?

I'm sure that will be plenty! I was there in may, so the weather may be a bit different. The weather will be warm though so no I wouldn't expect you will be cold in between dives, probably the opposite. Look up manado weather temps. Won't hurt to bring a sweater even if just for the plane! I won't be far away over Xmas and its looking 25celcius overnight or more. Have fun!

---------- Post added December 13th, 2012 at 07:05 PM ----------

You're in the tropics I always take a light waterproof jacket.

We got cold coming in from the dives, sitting in the wind in wet suits. I would have liked to have had a windbreaker to throw over my wetsuit. The rides are short, though, mostly ten minutes or less.

I know in Palau, we would frequently get caught in a downpour whilst riding back to the resort from the dive sites. Wind, rain, wet...everybody would feel cold. The windbreaker was nice, but one time I went so far as to get out the polartec that I'd stashed away, not planning to take it out until we got back to D.C. It got stinky, but it did work.

Packing my dive bag now! So exciting!

Hey girl. I know YOU'RE gonna love it. We just came back from diving the Strait (Kasawari resort) and Raja on the Dewi. All the sights are good but bringing a list of what you'd like to see helps. Your dive guides are priceless when it comes to finding critters. Bring a washcloth if you want one. Sometimes, depending on the tide you will see some garbage in the water, which can be a bit disconcerting - but, the critters don't seem to mind.

It's like all the extra parts, colors and patterns that haven't been used yet were all sent there and velcroed together into the strange and amazing. Hi to your fam and have fun!!! The variety of frogfish will knock your fins off!

All my dives were 80-82F (well, one showed 79F) from Nov.20-26, 2012. It'll probably be more towards warm & muggy at night or else just comfortable, could be a bit cool when it rains. You can get really chilled in a downpour but it isn't a given you will be in many, at least not for very long. We had several really sunny days, the weather was a treat. Dove rashguards and a zipper vest, never felt cold. Make sure you get in plenty of night dives and carry a small light on day dives.

Oh, and expect the unexpected. I was shooting a small Zebra crab on the back of a Fire urchin. Had a +5 diopter on the crab when all of a sudden it was gone. I looked back from the camera screen and saw the urchin several feet away and gaining speed. I mean sure, fire urchins can move but...Well, turns out this urchin was getting hauled around on top of a Carrier crab. Hard to recompose when you keep laughing through your reg. // ww

urchin fire w zebra crab 2 copy.jpg
Zebra crab on Fire urchin
Carrier crab.jpg
Still frame from a video clip

Hey Octopuppy! What a treat to hear from you! Glad you're safely back and had a good time--did you do a review of Kasawari or Dewi? Thanks for the washcloth tip; I will bring one for sure! Right now am in packing hell--2nd least favorite part of traveling.

Warmwater, what a fabulous story! Love the photos!

Sorrows

- I would bring a sweater or light weight cardy for the evenings in case you get a little chilly
- The weather has been pretty OK recently not so much rain but this can change so if you have something to throw on over your wetsuit to keep you warmer on the back then it is not such a bad idea
- we have insect repellent here - I hate DEET but if that is your preferred choice then OK. Of an evening a light spary and longer pants is always a good idea
- 3mm with a hood should be fine it you do not get too cold under water(we do have 5mm to rent if needed!)
- Land tours, we can chat when you are here! Tangkoko for the Tarsiers is a great way to spend your last afternoon, I am sure you will be addicted to the diving!

Drop me a PM if you have any more questions :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom