What does DCS feel like?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wolf eel:
Mental health is your health. If you feel great about your health you will respond better to problems that you mentioned even with out loads of experience. The only point I am so very gingerly trying to make is that your health is important. If you are out drinking all night diving the next day may not be the best for you. Also if you do not take care of your hydration the second you have any trouble you are now dehydrating that will cause you grief that is going to be the starting point of your body failing you.
That all I am trying to say.
One thing is for sure we have no idea
Derek

Absolutely, Derek, health is important and I think everyone here would agree to that. And what you refer to as mental health I would more concisely describe as attitude toward diving and confidence in one's skills and knowledge. Of course, if you're not hung over from the night before you are more likely to deal better with problems that might arise on the dive, but as you surely know, good health alone is not going to protect you from DCS. The point I'm trying to add is, if you want more tools in your arsenal to protect yourself against DCS, knowledge (and the skill to exercise that knowledge) are key. Knowledge of decompression mechanics (yes, even within recreational diving), understanding what decompression model your computer uses and what its shortcomings are, knowledge of DCS, understanding of the narcotic effect of gases, the danger of CO2 buildup, and so on. True, there is still a lot that is not completely understood in terms of bubble mechanics and barophysiology, but theories are evolving and I believe it is important for divers to take the time to educate themselves.

flw:
Going back to the original question, can only speak from my own experience of type1, deserved it, entirely my own fault - upper arm muscle, didn't feel like a sprain type ache, somehow different, nagging and dull rather than sharp, and a bit difficult to localise/ characterise in general - but still _sore_. Gradually faded over a space of 7-10 days or so

I may have been hit like this before. Can not really be sure because of all the tanks I was hauling that day. It kinda felt like I slept on my arm all night.

My question is this: Does this just go away? or should this affect your plan for the next dive?

My problem is that the nearest chamber and doctor is 2 hours away by plane.

partridge:
I may have been hit like this before. Can not really be sure because of all the tanks I was hauling that day. It kinda felt like I slept on my arm all night.

My question is this: Does this just go away? or should this affect your plan for the next dive?

My problem is that the nearest chamber and doctor is 2 hours away by plane.

The prudent thing to do is to treat every case of DCS as a medical emergency. I'm not sure if type 1 DCS can cause further complications if you don't treat it but if it were me I wouldn't take the chance.

R..

Dear Readers:

DCS Causes :sprite10:

This is a question that was first examined systematically during WW II. Then it was determined that gas loading was the primary determinant. This should not be big surprise.

The next determinate was physical activity. As has been mentioned for the several years that this board has been in operation, physical activity is the origin of stress-assisted nucleation. In our NASA work concerning decompression for EVA, physical activity is a very big player.

Lastly, there is some individual (constitutive) factor that causes individual differences. These are very real. A study by a Russian group is below. It souls the response to decompression be a group of men; some were bent with a small change in pressure and others needed a large one. It would be nice to know what this factor is, but it is Nature’s secret at the moment.

As has been mentioned in other forums, hydration is also a factor, but to what degree is not yet known.

Dr Deco :doctor:

Symptoms:

I had type I DCS, 3rd dive of the day, ascended from 45ft to the surface a little too quickly by accident (in about 20 seconds).

Symtoms started 2 hours after dive ended. It was a dull pain inside my right shoulder, deep inside. It was a unique feeling, different from a strained muscle. After 3 hours, I noticed my typing on a keyboard was different, my fingers weren't the same, not able to type as accurately, a little shaky. I read about DCS on the internet, it said it doesn't get better, it just gets worse if you wait. Immediately called DAN, went to the chamber for 1 ride, and went back to diving a couple weeks later. Everything was fine afterwards, except I have a tingling on the tops of my feet that never went away.

hope this helps

Scott

Back
Top Bottom