What else do I need for my setup to photo sharks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KidK9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was wondering if you all could advise me what else I might require for my setup in order to photograph a shark dive in the Bahamas. I currently have an Oly C5050Z, PT015 housing, D-180s Strobe, and Inon WAL. Any other suggestions?

KidK9:
I was wondering if you all could advise me what else I might require for my setup in order to photograph a shark dive in the Bahamas. I currently have an Oly C5050Z, PT015 housing, D-180s Strobe, and Inon WAL. Any other suggestions?

Xanadu will also be photographing you and for you :D

Check out some of their pics...
http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.dll?eventthumbs?event=0G0E000L

You've got all you need for distance shots. But, make sure you can get your strobe off the arm quickly. I've done several shark dives and some of my best shots involved "creative" (top/bottom/side) lighting as the sharks approach. The sharks won't be interested in YOU but they may be attracted to the sound of your strobe as it recylces after each shot. I've had to bang a shark or two on the snout when they came in a little to close.

'Slogger

Thanks so much for sharing that album Paul! You've really helped me out booking this trip. I most likely will buy some of their pics, but their is a certain sense of "I took that" that I always like to come home with. Can anyone share anything else I might need?

Anyone?

What else could you carry?

KidK9:
Can anyone share anything else I might need?

I would also take some non-strobe shots on targets that you can't get close enough too for the strobe by using the WAL and manual white balance on the camera.

Be prepared for that by calibrating your white balance immediately ater descending.

At least you will have a collection of strobe and non-strobe shots to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom