What else to do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shasta_man

Contributor
Reaction score
Looking for any input on what else to do after diving on the Big Island:
- snorkeling
- volcano
- hiking
- waterfalls
- helicopter ride

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Oooh, and the observatory on Mauna Loa. Make sure to arrange travel up there though, most rental car companies will not let you take their cars up there.

Be VERY wary of helicopter rides and trips to tall mountains after diving, until you have fully offgassed.

Mauna Loa - like a trip to the moon up there. Big difference from the climate below.

Thanks for the idea.

And thanks for the tip on going to altitude after diving. Jack's Diving Locker mentioned that traveling back to Hilo to fly out would require going over significant elevation and to factor that into plans.

Botanical garden near Hilo is very cool, can spend hours if you are a photog.

Horseback ride in Waipio valley is fun too, if they still do that.

Supposed to be a neat hike behind a waterfall in the last valley up by Hawi, but you have to use Hawaii Forest and Trail (think that is the name) to go there, private land.

And heed the altitude warnings. You get up to about 2500 feet going over to Hilo. I had issues one time up there hours after diving.

Rent a car and make a loop around the island. There is supposed to be something like 13 different climate zones you travel through. We rented a convertible and the views are incredible.

Be sure to make the trek to where the volcano is emptying into the ocean. Do this at night! You can see the lava flows glowing. Way cool. Wear long pants when doing this. The terrain is covered with sharp rocks and will cut you! Take some pictures of the lava flows at night, take a tripod though, lighting is difficult at best.

One thing you can try to book if you're going to Volcanoes National Park is a guided hiking tour of the Wild Lava Tube or Pu'u Po'o. The trail to this hike is only known to the park rangers and not available on any map. They only do this hike with one group once a week - on Wednesdays; and they take a maximum of 12 hikers. You have to be in decent shape to do the hike; but not a tri-athlete.

To reserve a spot, call the Volcano National Park number (808-985-6017) the Wednesday prior to the day you want to do the hike (exactly one week in advance). The park offices open at 7:45AM Hawaiian time. I suggest you try call them at precisely 7:45am, because the hike is usually booked within 20-30 minutes. You can make reservations for a maximum of 4 people. Best of all, the hike is free!

Because my wife had minor surgery 2 weeks prior to our trip last May, we weren't able to do the hike ourselves. However, I booked it for a couple of friends of mine who vacationed with us, and they said it was awesome.:cool3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom