What exactly is a "cattle boat" in your definition?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

psychocabbage

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have found I do not like "6 packs" since its not a what I call a pleasureable boat ride.

I do find that I like large boats with a full bow that you can lay out on and get some rays while heading to the dive site and during the surface interval.

Everytime I have gone on a smaller boat the ride is not as enjoyable nor is the boat that comfortable.

My question is this- would a 38' boat that holds about 20 ppl be considered a cattle boat?

Everytime I have dove with this particular boat, I never see the other group(s) until we are back on the boat. Is that still cattle boat diving?

More than 4-6 people is to many IMHO if they are all down at once, but I also enjoy diving alone much of the time...

I do find that I like large boats with a full bow that you can lay out on and get some rays while heading to the dive site and during the surface interval.

Then try one of these.

1. Aggressor Fleet
2. Sun Dancer Fleet
3. Nekton
4. Aqua Cat
5. Big Blue Explorer
6. Thorfinn

If the other divers have hooves, walk on all fours and follow the sound of a clanging bell, then chances are it is a cattle boat.

Seriously, I think it is a personal opinion. When I hear the word "cattle boat" I think of 12 or more once a year divers milling about on the platform while they suit up - blocking the way - then thrashing around on the reef as they follow the DM.

If you are more comfortable on the larger boat and never see the other divers then it really doesn't make any difference if it is a "cattle boat". It sounds like you enjoy the dives you have been on and that is all that really matters.

I am with NorthWoodsDiver, in that I think that more than 4 or 6 divers is too many. But I have been on some boats that could be classed as "cattle boats" and met some very nice people.

One that goes 'mooo' when they crank the engine(s).....

The more people on the boat the better the chance of some gear growing legs and walking off...

It's the people not the boat that makes it a cattle boat.:wink:

If the boat has more than around 6 people I consider it a cattle boat. I like bigger boats with better melanoma decks, but I am not a huge fan of bungling around with tons of divers. YMMV though.

We just did a three-day liveaboard on a boat with 22 divers. Could be a cattle boat.

Except all 22 divers had advanced certifications, knew their stuff, and dove with no drama and excellent skills. Not only was having 22 divers not a problem, but it was fun, because you could ALWAYS find a team to join, even if your usual buddy/ies had decided to sit out the dive.

Put 22 random people, most of them with under 25 dives, on a boat -- that's a different story.

Back
Top Bottom