What gas mixture for what depth range?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

headhunter:
Obviously, everyone has to be somewhat on the same page with this information due to the physics involved. Although, I imagine that actual mixes vary somewhat from one person to the next for reasons that I have yet to understand.
You are right there are physics that set limits, however there are then "soft" limits which are the personal ones. They are about how affected you get of for instance narcosis and how much risk you are willing to take. Also about how willing you are to spend the money on "better" mixes.
I for instance don't get that affected by narcosis so I dive Nitrox mixes to 150ft+ regulary. And I never use 100% O2 in open ocean water beacuse of its narrow depth profile.
What gas mixes you are using is also somewhat dependent on the location you are diving and your buddies. (I probably take some flack for this one but IMO it's how it works in real life.)

--A

Thank you all for your answers and guidance.

The book suggested by chrisch sounds like a good way to go for my desire to do research. Other suggestions are welcome for books that should be read on the subject.

When I'm ready to take a class, I'll start with basic Nitrox and work my way up (or down as the case may be) from there as I start to look at things in deeper waters. Of course, I'll seek instruction before I go "deep". In the meanwhile, there are plenty of things to look at in less than 100 fsw, while I learn and develop new skills. (I had never heard of a frog kick when I started diving, but I see the value in it.)

I just got a new BP/W to replace some old gear and I'm just waiting for my STA to arrive. Then it's time to restart the adventure in a pool to work on boyancy and trim.

Christian

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom