What got you into diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife got me a Discover Scuba gift certificate for the local dive shop. I watched the 30 minutes video and spent about an hour or so in the pool. I was totally hooked.

I was snorkeling with my 6 year old daughter on San Fransico beach in Cozumel about 18 years ago. The water visibility had to be about 150 ft. I could see the ocean floor slopping away from the beach and followed it to a group of divers on bottom some distance from us. From that day on I promised myself I would dive one day. Kids are gone and the wife and I decided it was "our time." Best thing we ever did for ourselves.

I snorkeled in Bermuda in 2004. I was ecstatic about it, and when I talked to my friend, Sarah, about it, she said, "Pfffft.... You need to get scuba certified." I said, "What's the difference?" She said, "Snorkeling is like watching something on TV. Scuba is like being IN IT!" Shortly after that, I came across an ad in the local paper advertizing a scuba class starting at the local rec center, got certified, and I've been diving every chance I can get, ever since. :)

Got tired of coming up for more air. From diapers on, never "liked" surface swimming. Less noise underwater.

Hoa!

My dad got me hooked. He was on the Dive Recovery Team for the Michigan State Police, I remember him taking care of his gear, "giving it a thorough rinsing" in the laundry tubs in the basement. He would tell me what it was like, what he saw and if they found what they were looking for (he would only tell me about objects, not people/bodies). He quit diving in 82' due to diabetes, I got certified in 92', he gave me some of his gear and I still use it, the rest will probably be saved by me as sentimental collectors items. :D

Well, I'm a newbie and I can tell you that I am hooked! What got me interested in the first place is snorkeling. I have always loved being in and around water and with snorkeling, I just wanted to see more, more, more. Also, I have been travelling a lot over the past year, mainly to the Caribbean, and it just seemed like a natural progression to go from snorkelling to scuba. Bonaire in 6 weeks!!!!

Sea Hunt. Seriously, I loved Sea Hunt and Mike Nelson. I was about 7 years old at the time. It took me another 10 years to actually get to dive. When I went to college in the 1970s I took the basic PADI course.

DiverLS:
I took Scuba 101 in my Senior year in College. The first time I put that regulator in my mouth and slipped underwater in the pool, I was hooked. The class was OW and Advanced. Now I dive 30-50 dives a year and am really looking forward to more diving. Hopefully divemaster in 07.

Yeah, I only wish I would have had the chance to take scuba in HS or College! Things may have been different EARLIER!

Back
Top Bottom