What happened to "Catching Hell"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have been wondering, as well. Enjoyed the show, I thought that they were doing another season ??

Ironic to see this as I just watched the first season on Vimeo. My thoughts were the producers made the crews look like amateur hour (maybe they did it to themselves) with the exception of one boat crew. They also didn't seize the opportunity to highlight spearfishing as the most sustainable way to harvest fish.

They took a bunch of heat from fellow commercial spearfishman on other boards and my guess is either ratings weren't all that good or the cast wanted more control over editing, which likely would not have been received well from a production company. Plus I think most fisherman would prefer to tell the media and production companies to shove it as they will never shed them in a good light, unless you're on a crab boat in the Bering Sea.

I saw a couple of episodes. It played out as most scripted "reality" shows with too much fake drama and editing to make it seem as if every moment on a boat is life or death. Divers not coming up when expected, losing their buddy, etc. That and the fact that it would be impossible to make a living running a boat and paying the divers a decent wage with the small amount of fish brought in.
It seemed to be as made up as the Housewives shows and the crew of the cruise ships who fight and have sex constantly. I guess real reality would be too boring for television.

That and the fact that it would be impossible to make a living running a boat and paying the divers a decent wage with the small amount of fish brought in.

I agree with the scripted Hollywood nonsense, however, there's a number of teams over here making a decent living shooting fish. 2 divers pulling $200 stringers and doing 10 dives a day, yields a pretty good gross. On those numbers you would have a $4k day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom