What happened to the Keuka buoy (Lake Charlevoix)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I was up at my cottage last weekend. We wanted to dive on the Keuka again this year but when we got out there the buoy was gone. Does anybody know what happened to it and how we can get it back out there. I heard a lady last month died possibly from a heart attack while diving on the lake but I dont know if this has anything to do with the Keuka. We didn't have our GPS to find the location so we were forced to do something else. The coast guard didn't even know. How silly is that. Anyway, hope you can shed some light on the situation. I'd also like to find out some other interesting places to dive on the lake that aren't too deep. I'm not ready for the 70ft pleasure craft yet near charlevoix. thanks.....It was wonderful to find this site.

It was there earlier in the summer when we dove it. Not sure what happened to it but i doubt it was removed because of the fatality last month. Maybe a boat clipped it and cut it loose?

dolphinluv1979:
I was up at my cottage last weekend. We wanted to dive on the Keuka again this year but when we got out there the buoy was gone. Does anybody know what happened to it and how we can get it back out there. I heard a lady last month died possibly from a heart attack while diving on the lake but I dont know if this has anything to do with the Keuka. We didn't have our GPS to find the location so we were forced to do something else. The coast guard didn't even know. How silly is that. Anyway, hope you can shed some light on the situation. I'd also like to find out some other interesting places to dive on the lake that aren't too deep. I'm not ready for the 70ft pleasure craft yet near charlevoix. thanks.....It was wonderful to find this site.
It was buoyed bow and stern last year. I dove it on Labor Day last year and was flying a dive flag. It didn't stop boaters from zooming in between the buoys and waving while we flashed the internation symbol of disgust. Are you aware of the Elisabeth which is sunk in Round Lake?

Hmmm they much buoy it every year bc 2 years ago it only had one buoy. I bet a boater broke the line....bummer

I've heard that it is there but I'm not sure where? Is it deep? Just because of the boat traffic i'm not sure how good i'd feel about diving there. Let me know your thoughts....thanks

dolphinluv1979:
Hmmm they much buoy it every year bc 2 years ago it only had one buoy. I bet a boater broke the line....bummer

I've heard that it is there but I'm not sure where? Is it deep? Just because of the boat traffic i'm not sure how good i'd feel about diving there. Let me know your thoughts....thanks

I believe it's 50 feet or so. PM me if you want the GPS coordinates. Now that Labor Day has past, traffic should get lighter.

Round Lake is an interesting place to dive, as is the channel.
The current keeps the bottom nice & clean; EZ to find goodies there from back in the old daze.
Watch out for the ferry if you're diving the channel though. :wink:

I know this post is like 5 years old but does anyone have the gps coordinates for the Keuka?

thanks

I got these #'s from Scuba North approx 4 years ago.
45 18.322N 85 14.291W
It put me right on it even though it was not bouyed at the time. The last time that I dove this wreck, boat traffic was not an issue. But that was an Ice Dive:lotsalove:.

Thanks for all the info. I will check out the book Great Lakes Diving Guide. I have also already checked out the diving coordinates on Google earth and looks good. thanks

Back
Top Bottom