What happened? Was it narcosis?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think your problem has been explained as best as possible by the knowledgable folks on the board, not having been there to observe. However, a resort course is not (in my humble opinion) real training. You need to get real dive training and take a real course. There are lots of information on this board you can research to pick a good course and instructor. After a real course in SCUBA, you will understand all of the issues regarding the sport and be better able to deal with issues like you experienced. You will also be a much safer diver. Keep diving my friend, just get proper training before you do.

I think your problem has been explained as best as possible by the knowledgable folks on the board, not having been there to observe. However, a resort course is not (in my humble opinion) real training. You need to get real dive training and take a real course. There are lots of information on this board you can research to pick a good course and instructor. After a real course in SCUBA, you will understand all of the issues regarding the sport and be better able to deal with issues like you experienced. You will also be a much safer diver. Keep diving my friend, just get proper training before you do.
If its a course that give you the OW cert it IS a "real course". Its got the same standards for certification regardless where in the world you take it.. :popcorn:

If its a course that give you the OW cert it IS a "real course". Its got the same standards for certification regardless where in the world you take it.. :popcorn:

:rofl3:

Not just laughing at this particular case. :D

:rofl3:

Not just laughing at this particular case. :D
The popcorn is because I see this heading into a agency bashing..

Hey RedMechine,

I too am a new diver. I have 18 dives under my belt currently. I have not had the issue you have had with the breathing, but in the beginning, my ears were not clearing (during my OW cert) and I found my breathing to be rapid and loss of balance, but the main thing for me was not to panic and just get myself to a comfortable area to get my ears to clear properly.

I did have a Bouyancy issue, similar to yours. I found that for some reason I would be at lets say 20 ft, and then I would start floating up (after being down for quite some time). I am not 100% of the cause, but it has not happened in my past few dives. My thoughts are:
a) my weight was off - very possible at the time. But I have worked on positioning my weight so it is in my front more and it seems to work...and not to over weight myself.
b) tank getting lighter as air is used - may be a factor as it was not in the beginning of the dive.
c) could not drain the air in my jacket sytle BC well - I have since learned how to roll to release air and the release valves to get different parts of the jacket.
d) breathing - I am a big guy....and I have a large capacity in my lungs...plus a SAC rate of I believe 30. This is my current area that I am working on....it is very noticable that when i take a deep breath, I start floating up...so I have been paying close attention on how much BC air is needed with my beathing pattern to get me to the right level. AND if I have to do a surface swim, I am well rested before I decend.

Hope this helps.

Breath normally, stay calm....if things happen to fast, indicate to your buddy to slow down, and enjoy the dive. Panicking and breathing hard underwater is a sure method to way yourself.

PS. Dumbest thing I ever did was swim after a bat ray at 80ft....was exhausted, could not get enough air into my lungs and almost lost it.

Sounds like you handled it decently.

I get that 'wonky' feeling every once in a while. Remember to check your depth before assuming you are ascending. If you were Narc'd and started descending you could end up deeper then you intended. For me the focused deep breathing (kind of like mediatation) helps. I focus on my breathing and work my steps 1)check air, 2) check depth, 3) check straps on bc . . . weird I know but focusing on the steps and breathing takes the anxiety away.

That and not wanting to be the dead diver that gets bashed in the A&I thread on this board is great motivation not to panic! :D

I can hear the SB folks screaming in my head THINK DON'T PANIC NOTHING HAPPENS UNDERWATER THAT CAN'T BE FIXED UNDERWATER. It helps.

Good luck!

I never mentioned a single agency. I just don't believe you can get enough instruction during a resort course to be a safe diver. Like I said this is my opinion. Resort and weekend courses IMHO should not result in a full OW certification. The person should only be able to dive with a DM or instructor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom