What if all instruction was free...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

simbrooks:
Think of how many people that would put out of work! Accountants, bank workers, tax collectors, extortionists, blackmailers, and of course without money to line their pockets and something to fight for lawyers would also be out of a job - doesnt actually sound like a bad world at all :wink:
Yes, yes comrade, i agree! :wink: :eyebrow:

simbrooks:
Maybe what we need is a seperation of LDS sales and education - that would be the nearest that we could get to an ideal situation, no more subsidising instruction with inflated gear prices, instructors/salesmen on you to buy the latest/greatest thing in the LDS before you have finished your course - would you all be in favour of that??

In my experience the LDS can be a large part of the problem but not always. I think it really depends on the individual LDS owner and their stance on instruction. Some take it seriously, some view it as a necessary evil to sell gear.

I'm not sure separating the two will ever change anything. Assuming you could separate them, there will always be someone out there willing to lowball the next guy to get the business.

Its the way the system works and its not exclusive to the scuba industry. We get lowballed every week in our business (construction.)

miesemer:
I disagree...

You are a targeted marketing opportunity for the Google Adwords program and the banner ads that helps support this board. You are paying by actually viewing each page. However you (us) should probably be paying more!

So I am paying to look in a shop window just by the fact that I drove there ?.

If I am given a check for $100 its not free as I have to go to the bank to cash it ?

You're probably also paying for an internet connection to get here and I'm guessing the computer you're using probably wasn't free either.

So if I get a daily paper free, its not relay free as I have to pay for the home to have it delivered to.

NetDoc pays for hosting and bandwidth which isn't free.

Can you truly call scuba board a free service?

YES, I think a grateful few do

I do quite a few training courses, a few times a year I go around to a few of the "poorer" high schools and offer training to the students that otherwise could not afford it. I provide them with all their gear and required manuals etc etc.

Why? I dunno it's just good to be able to offer something to someone who would not otherwise have the chance.

gedunk:
In my experience the LDS can be a large part of the problem but not always. I think it really depends on the individual LDS owner and their stance on instruction. Some take it seriously, some view it as a necessary evil to sell gear.

I'm not sure separating the two will ever change anything. Assuming you could separate them, there will always be someone out there willing to lowball the next guy to get the business.
I am not saying it is a catch-all, but a great majority of the complaints we get centre around this "relationship", some do it fine, but we all know they are generally in it to make a living - who isnt working for a living around here? It would however diffuse some of the conflicts of interest.
gedunk:
Its the way the system works and its not exclusive to the scuba industry. We get lowballed every week in our business (construction.)
I know what you mean, i am on the other end of that as a consultant engineer - we are so happy when we know that the client is taking the best value package rather than the lowest price - cos we know there will be fewer problems with a best package rather than lots of claims and additional hassle to meet the lowest bidders needs. We have a saying for my type of engineer, geotechnical, that you either pay me now or later, paying for us at the start to work out what problems might be there or else find that you pay more at the end to fix the problems caused by not having the right work done to start with - it follows into many other field of expertise.

The top reasons I get from my previous students who stop diving are:

1. can't find a buddy

2. ill fitting uncomfortable equipment.

a close running 3rd is...got married and the spouse doesn't.... or now i have kids....

RIDIVER501:
The top reasons I get from my previous students who stop diving are:
1. can't find a buddy
2. ill fitting uncomfortable equipment.

the most common one I hear is:

It's TOO expensive.

guess they didn't read the sign: Diving ain't free.

cdiver2:
YES, I think a grateful few do

I'm not sure if we're saying the same thing???

This site exists because somebody is paying for it.

If you, I and the rest of the community didn't come here, the income from the Adwords program would diminish and advertisers wouldn't spend their money here. Sure, you don't directly write a check to NetDoc, but by coming here and occassionally clicking an Adwords link at the top of the page you are helping to fund the site.

I am grateful for this site and think we should be paying more than we do. I'm guessing the income from the Adwords campaign and other site advertising does little to cover the expenses and time of the people involved.

miesemer:
I'm not sure if we're saying the same thing???

This site exists because somebody is paying for it.

If you, I and the rest of the community didn't come here, the income from the Adwords program would diminish and advertisers wouldn't spend their money here. Sure, you don't directly write a check to NetDoc, but by coming here and occassionally clicking an Adwords link at the top of the page you are helping to fund the site.

I am grateful for this site and think we should be paying more than we do. I'm guessing the income from the Adwords campaign and other site advertising does little to cover the expenses and time of the people involved.

I understand what your saying but it still do's not cost us one penny to get on the board, not long ago the board had no advertising.

miesemer:
I think Netdoc is passionate about the site and when it looked like folding under the previous management stepped in to help.

I actually dont click on the ad words, kind of like tv ads, i dont immeadiate go and phone that toll-free number or log on just because i saw it in an ad, but if they want to keep sending in funds i am all for it. :wink:

cdiver2:
I understand what your saying but it still do's not cost us one penny to get on the board, not long ago the board had no advertising.

You can say that it is round about, but you are still paying for this service. You payed for the computer that you are reading it on, you pay for the internet connection that you are using to access it, you pay for the electricity to run your computer, you pay for maintenance and upkeep on your computer, you even pay by giving time that could be spent on a more productive enterprise. There are a million different things that never cross your mind, but no matter how small these things seem, you ARE paying.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom