What is a dive snob?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think this girl really has an opinion. I think someone used the term and she not knowing any better applied it to her self.

Why? Because someone applies urban terminology to themselves you decide that they're not qualified to have an opinion? How very mature.

For the record I'm happy to be considered a Dive snob. I won't dive water less than 70F, although in the summer we deal with 94F surface temps and 120F air temps. Horses for courses

Likewise I don't dive low vis ( like 15 feet or less) I see no point, I can always dive tomorrow.

I can't be bothered to get wet for the sake of it. So won't dive places that have very little life present. Any you would certainly never get me into a quarry.

So yes I'm snobbish about my diving, I prefer warm water and love big currents with oceanic life. Macro doesn't do it for me.

But then again my snobbery is based upon my back yard and easy access to the type of diving I prefer. If suddenly that all changed and I could only dive cold water murky quarries then I might grit my teeth and bear it, but you can be sure my dive count would drop off the edge of a cliff

Guess I am not a dive snob then - Uk waters are never very warm (max 14C) and vis is generally considered very good if it gets as high as 8-10m.

Would love to be a snob with it but I would hardly ever dive and I love diving too much not to do it so I will put up with the hardships.

Guess I am not a dive snob then - Uk waters are never very warm (max 14C) and vis is generally considered very good if it gets as high as 8-10m.

Would love to be a snob with it but I would hardly ever dive and I love diving too much not to do it so I will put up with the hardships.
Bit warmer on the south coast. We'll hit about 18 max Coke August. I consider it to be good vis if I can see the wreck

Why? Because someone applies urban terminology to themselves you decide that they're not qualified to have an opinion? How very mature.

For the record I'm happy to be considered a Dive snob. I won't dive water less than 70F, although in the summer we deal with 94F surface temps and 120F air temps. Horses for courses

Likewise I don't dive low vis ( like 15 feet or less) I see no point, I can always dive tomorrow.

I can't be bothered to get wet for the sake of it. So won't dive places that have very little life present. Any you would certainly never get me into a quarry.

So yes I'm snobbish about my diving, I prefer warm water and love big currents with oceanic life. Macro doesn't do it for me.

But then again my snobbery is based upon my back yard and easy access to the type of diving I prefer. If suddenly that all changed and I could only dive cold water murky quarries then I might grit my teeth and bear it, but you can be sure my dive count would drop off the edge of a cliff

I'm starting to get the idea of your meaning of snob, from your comment.. I have always used it as a derogatory term for those that think they are better than others, or believe they are the center of the universe. If you can give me a link of some sorts to I assume a "we be" dictionary where I can get a better handle on "urban" use of the word, that would be great. I still will never use snob in place of the word spoiled in normal speaking. Language dictates they do not equate. But then again I don't speak we be.

AS far as being spoiled on warm water diving, I would say that I am one in that category also. But certainly do not think of my self as a snob, stuck up or any of the many equitable words. As mature goes I did not say she was not qualified to have an opinion. Those were your words. I suggested that she heard the word and blindly used it with out thinking of how others ( apparently non urbanites like my self) would receive or interpret it.

I think that people who refuse to dive in cold water just don't understand how to dress for it. They take the suggestion to dive in cold water as some sort of insane, ridiculous proposition that no normal person would do.

I mean, if you said to the same person "Hey, we're going to my condo in Aspen next week to ski, want to join us?", do you think that they would say "No way, are you CRAZY?? It's COLD there!". Of course not. You don't ski in a bikini, and when you dive in cold conditions, you dress for it.

Then, you can dive in 34 degree water and see stuff like this:

Newfoundland_2015_15_2.jpg

Ok I think of it kind of like a wine snob... A wine enthusiast, particularly one who is pretentious, or self-important because of their "immense wine knowledge." If you offer a wine snob a glass of cheap wine they would probably turn their nose up at it no matter how good it tastes. Now I am a warm water wuss all the way, but I will don my dry suit and endure my neck chafing for a great kelp dive in California. Of course I would also drink the cheap wine if it was my only choice too... :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom