What is it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iztok

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
It almost looks like a portion of an oar.
Is the left side brass, or metal?
I am no expert.

Told it is metal (well brass is a metal but I mean steel type thing).

Looks to be about the same size and shape of a belaying pin, used to secure lines and ropes for the rigging of earlier sailing vessels. Too bad it's so worn down, whatever it is.

Was it near a bridge? It could be an alignment tool used to align the rivet/bolt holes of the beams and braces of a bridge structure so you can put a rivet in the hole beside it. Multipurpose for two different sized holes, the crown in the middle would keep it from falling out of it's holder.

This picture shows a bridge worker putting in the drift pins, the long one between him and the camera seems similar, although longer, to your artifact.
jan_26_ream_and_pray.jpg

http://frank.itlab.us/bridge/small/jan_26_ream_and_pray.jpg

Bob
-----------------------------
Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

Last edited:
It's the end of a push pole they used when they floated logs down the rivers.I found one last year that still has about 12' of the pole still in it

Attachments

• riverpigs.jpg
    riverpigs.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 93
This is a similar item I found and it may be the same as this. Almost 3.5 feet long, wooden staff with metal on the end. someone told me it was a logging tool but i disagree because of the serrations carved in metal. also i believe if this was a logging tool it would have a hook on it and not a spear with fine serrations.

Attachments

• spear 001.jpg
    spear 001.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 55
  • spear 002.jpg
    spear 002.jpg
    318.1 KB · Views: 59
  • spear 003.jpg
    spear 003.jpg
    314.2 KB · Views: 52
  • spear 006.jpg
    spear 006.jpg