What is Ratio Deco?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

65min is 15mins less than 20/85 suggests, and I don't care to get much more sporty than 20/85 on a dive like that.

---------- Post added November 17th, 2014 at 03:53 PM ----------

Wait wait wait, are you suggesting that dive called for 130mins of deco on 50% and o2?

Thats a lot...
130 min split b/t 50% deco & 100%, so each requires 65 min. (It's 715am here in Truk and I'm prepping for a 51m ave depth @ 50min [Deep Air of course with RD 1:2] on the Seiko Maru Wreck . . . cya'll later).

this is another example of RD falling apart (i assume this is UTD's brand of RD because this isn't what gue teaches)

65 minutes on each bottle for this dive is silly

The whole runtime for that on CCR is roughly 130 minutes with VPM +1, and that assumes one doesn't jack up the pO2 during the shallow stops. Doing it on OC wouldn't vary things much given the extremely square profile.

Sometimes RD is fine, sometimes...:banana::banana::banana:

The whole runtime for that on CCR is roughly 130 minutes with VPM +1, and that assumes one doesn't jack up the pO2 during the shallow stops. Doing it on OC wouldn't vary things much given the extremely square profile.

Sometimes RD is fine, sometimes...:banana::banana::banana:

The profile sure wasn't square, but I generally agree with you. I hit a max of 187, and the shallowest was around 100.

The profile sure wasn't square, but I generally agree with you. I hit a max of 187, and the shallowest was around 100.

Gotcha, I was just working off the 80min at 140' point. If that's just an average, CCR would shave even more time off...but still, talk about really racking up the deco time and CNS (not that you care about that one...) for no good reason. If I had my Petrel handy, I'd see what a 50/85 produced...I imagine it would be significantly shorter than 130min of deco, though.

That seems silly to do an extra hour of deco, but whatever you wanna do...

this is another example of RD falling apart (i assume this is UTD's brand of RD because this isn't what gue teaches)

65 minutes on each bottle for this dive is silly

I've got no problems with it . . .there's nothing objectively "falling apart".

My Petrel running ZHL-16C Buhlmann with GF 30/85 shows for PfcAJ's 42m/140' @ 80 min: 113 min of deco time with 5 min Deep Stop at 24m/80', 37 min at the intermediate Eanx50 stops, and 69 min at the 100% O2 stops. With the extra long intermediate stops of the RD 1:2 schedule (which is okay with me), Ratio Deco in this instance is more conservative than the Petrel Buhlmann running 30/85 GF's. . .

[Seiko Maru wreck for me was 51m max/42m ave for 55 min using RD 1:2 for 80 min deco time].

Last edited:
I've got no problems with it . . .there's nothing objectively "falling apart".

My Petrel running ZHL-16C Buhlmann with GF 30/85 shows for PfcAJ's 42m/140' @ 80 min: 113 min of deco time with 5 min Deep Stop at 24m/80', 37 min at the intermediate Eanx50 stops, and 69 min at the 100% O2 stops. With the extra long intermediate stops of the RD 1:2 schedule (which is okay with me), Ratio Deco in this instance is more conservative than the Petrel Buhlmann running 30/85 GF's. . .

[Seiko Maru wreck for me was 51m max/42m ave for 55 min using RD 1:2 for 80 min deco time].

I do not get that with decoplanner running 30/85. I end up with 97mins of total deco, with 53mins on o2. I also don't see a reason to do a 5min deep stop at 80ft when you've got a 50% bottle waiting 10ft above you...

In any case, being 'more conservative' isn't always best. You could change your gradient factors to 10/10 and call it 'more conservative'. I'd rather do the right deco and get out of the water. Throwing deco at a dive for no good reason doesn't make sense.

That seems silly to do an extra hour of deco, but whatever you wanna do...
Unless you are uncomfortable with CNS exposure (which is why I don't do more than two mandatory deco tech dives per day here in Truk, and with a minimum SIT of 3.5 hours between them), you can always do as much deco as you need; after one month of deep tech dives here every day, much better to have more than enough deco -clean up those slow tissues especially- than trying to get out of the water faster. . .

(Prep this AM for the Fujisan Maru Tanker wreck, 51m ave @50min on Air, 50 & 100%. Second dive will be Fumitzuki Destroyer at 33m ave @50 min, on Eanx30, 50 and 100%. Ciao for now!)

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom