What is the best BCD (any price range)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a Mares HUB.
I bought it as a open water newbie...
I have had no problems with it, except it's WEIGHT!

Now i want to replace it, and i am lost in a sea of BCD's

I have never used a back inflated BC, only jacket style.
As i am overweight, i think the jacket will keep me more comfortable at the surface.

So can i have a massive flood of opinions on whats the BEST BCD ON EARTH!

Best on earth? BP/w. Available in a wide range of weights with additional weights that can be attached in various fashions. Need 10, 20, 30 40 or 50 lbs of weight? Sure, no need to wear a weight belt if you don't want to.

Best jacket? Beats me.

I second that. BP/W. I use a dive rite myself. Very versitile.

Forget about the "face in the water" on the surface stuff. That only happens if you accidentaly wore your weight belt around your neck. Just lean back.

If you are going to buy a non-BP/W setup, its really hard to beat a Dive Rite Transpac or a Zeagle BCD. Both are back inflate, but I consider them the best in the market. Are far as jacket style BCDs? No idea.

jacket? isn't that what you wear when you go out to shovel snow? hehehehe - it took me 4 years to figure it out, but once i actually TRIED a BP/W.... never looked back. Life is good

I use a back inflate ScubaPro KnightHawk. No problem 'face planting'.

I'm a relatively new diver and the various itterations of the BP/W intimidate me a little.

I'm also a little overweight. The jacket stye's I used in class and rented always squeezed too much. Also, with the knighthawk and most others there are trim weight pockets on the back to help keep level.

I am a new diver. A bit heavy myself. I learned on a jacket style and then rented jacket styles. Just bought a Riptide Zone II back inflator. Much better. Much more comfortable. Actually easier to stay afloat.

IMO, the best BC on the market is the Scubapro Classic Sport. It is not weight integrated. It doesn't trap air in either the horizonal or vertical positions. It's also the best streamlined BC I've seen (yes, I've seen several types of BP/wings - BTW, they aren't all created equal either) as it has no padding and is a bladderless design.

I like my Zeagle Ranger. My wife dives one also and really likes it. My son Dives a Zeagle Scout he likes it. Quality construction and adjustability.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom