What is the best environment to learn to dive in?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Monkey_Gland

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So, firstly I thought I'd ask where did people learn to dive and did they think the environment was a particularly good one to learn in?

For instance, did you learn in crystal clear, warm water whilst pottering around on a reef? Or was a local frozen gravel pit with 1m vis and a rumour that there was a fish in there?

Did the enviroment help or hinder your enjoyment? Was it a challenge that you think helped you learn?

When I did my OW I did it in water that was ~8C. I did it in the dry suit and found that to be really good way. Not only did it keep me warm, but I also learned the basics of dry suit diving. Vis was pretty good considering there was a bunch of newbies stirring the silt from the bottom. Lots of life to see so it made the dives fun and interesting.

If I was to do it again, I would do it in the same place. Yes it was cold, but I figured, if I can dive in these conditions and feel capable, then i can dive anywhere else without any problems (other then sub 0C water temp, but thats a different story)

And this way when I do go and dive somewhere warm, I will feel like I earned it since I would always dive in cold water (I wouldn't be as spoiled as other warm water divers haha j/k)

You should probably learn to dive in the environment you plan to dive. There is just about nothing in warm water diving that applies to cold water diving.

I learned in Singapore and Malaysia. Diving in a T shirt is great! In Malaysia, at least, the visibility can be pretty good (not so much in Singapore) and boat diving is fantastic. I also recommend the Maldives and Thailand.

Then I came home! Beach dives in Monterey are nothing at all like south east Asia. Wetsuit, weights, beach entries and exits; what a change.

So, if possible, learn where you plan to dive.

Richard

Day 1 was at vortex springs -crystal clear water but a bit cool :)
Day 2 was in the Gulf of Mexico-great vis and warm.

Works great for me because this is where I live and dive

You should probably learn to dive in the environment you plan to dive. There is just about nothing in warm water diving that applies to cold water diving.

I learned in Singapore and Malaysia. Diving in a T shirt is great! In Malaysia, at least, the visibility can be pretty good (not so much in Singapore) and boat diving is fantastic. I also recommend the Maldives and Thailand.

Then I came home! Beach dives in Monterey are nothing at all like south east Asia. Wetsuit, weights, beach entries and exits; what a change.

So, if possible, learn where you plan to dive.

Richard

I concur 100%

I did mine in around 50 degree water in the ocean. This is considered cold water: most experienced divers use drysuits although a thick wetsuit is fine at first.

Cold water is considered more difficult, which sounds like a bad thing for beginners, but the flips side is if you can dive cold water, warm water won't be an issue. The reverse is not necessarily true.

I did mine in a quarry in Missouri. The water was 70 degrees on Day 1, and the vis was about 15 feet or so. Overnight, there was a torrential downpour and the quarry level rose 3 feet (Hurricane Ike paid a visit), and visibility was 1 foot.

Since I plan to be a cold water diver as well as a warm water diver, I went ahead and did my OW in Missouri. I admit, having one ft of vis on your checkout dives is kind of rough... I felt the quarry walls before I could see them on my dives, and it was nearly pitch black on the training platform doing my skills... but on the other hand, I doubt I will ever dive in worse OW visibility than I had when I trained, since I couldn't even see my hands when my arms were extended... it doesn't get much worse than that.

It was actually kind of cool... several of my classmates, however, freaked out and didn't complete their training.

I am a NOOB so I can't make recommendations, I am only saying what I did.

Another vote for learn to dive where you are going to dive the most. Warm water diving is nice, but it doesn't prepare you for the complication of cold water diving. Oh...and find a good group of dive buddies.

Good Luck
U/O

I did mine in a quarry in Missouri. The water was 70 degrees on Day 1, and the vis was about 15 feet or so. Overnight, there was a torrential downpour and the quarry level rose 3 feet (Hurricane Ike paid a visit), and visibility was 1 foot.

Since I plan to be a cold water diver as well as a warm water diver, I went ahead and did my OW in Missouri. I admit, having one ft of vis on your checkout dives is kind of rough... I felt the quarry walls before I could see them on my dives, and it was nearly pitch black on the training platform doing my skills... but on the other hand, I doubt I will ever dive in worse OW visibility than I had when I trained, since I couldn't even see my hands when my arms were extended... it doesn't get much worse than that.

It was actually kind of cool... several of my classmates, however, freaked out and didn't complete their training.

I am a NOOB so I can't make recommendations, I am only saying what I did.

Just curious but how does an instructor certify you in just 1ft of vis? I recall having to do skills and crap. Plus, a student could just bolt for the surface and the instructor wouldn't know it for some time. Sounds like a pain for both student and teacher.

I also agree with learning to dive were you plan on diving.

-Certified in Jamaica
-Dive in PA

I was not prepared for the cold water experience the first couple times. Actually, I only dove the cold water as part of an advanced class. Hated it day 1! I was not prepared for the experience, although I have now grown to love it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom