What is the coolest thing you have seen underwater in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

underachiever

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
And just to make it a little broader. What is the coolest thing you missed seeing underwater? Something others saw on the same dive you were on but you missed for one reason or another.

Mine were the same incident. We were crusing along Cedral at about 40 ft. near the end of our first dive of the day. An Eagle Ray makes an appearence swimming upcurrent out over deep water at about 30 ft. We all slowly move in that direction. Soon after it has done the fly by the Eagle Ray does a 180 degree turn and starts swimming back toward our group of 5. It starts asending to maybe 20 ft., directly over us it turns over on its back, gains a speed and LEAPS:shocked2: out of the water. Out of the water for 1 or 2 seconds and then as it dives back into the water it continues diving at high speed straight to the bottom and then planes off just as it gets to the bottom and keeps on swimming about a foot off the bottom (very fast) till out of sight.

Well the part I missed :shakehead:was the leap out of the water and the plunge back into the water. My fellow dive mates filled in that part for me. The reason I missed that part was fooling with my camera :no: as the Ray turned over onto its back, I looked down at my camera to get it ready to get a picture of the Ray swimming upside down. About the time I looked down I heard everyone screaming and as I looked up the Ray was back in the water diving straight down toward the bottom about 10 ft. in front of me.

So I still saw something very cool as the Ray turned over onto its back. (never saw that before) and also saw it swimming straight down like a dive bomber through the water barely 10 ft. in front of me. But missed the leap out of the water. Which would have been cool to see above or below the water.

Got a story??

It would be between diving with several hundred Hammerheads at once in the Sea of Cortez or the 3 Playmates of Month I took on a U/W video shoot for DirectTV. :)

It would be between diving with several hundred Hammerheads at once in the Sea of Cortez or the 3 Playmates of Month I took on a U/W video shoot for DirectTV. :)
What part of Cozumel is the Sea of Cortez? :D

A few years ago on a dive at Colombia Deep, I was last in line. The DM shook his rattler and started pointing out in front of him. A lone eagle ray was coming toward us going the other direction on a parallel course a bit off to the left and below us. I set myself on an intercept course and got right in front of him; I held real still and stopped breathing. Yeah, I know, but I was stationary in the water column and I didn't do a glottal stop.

Anyway, when the ray passed me his left wingtip passed about 6 inches in front of my face. No camera, of course.

Last edited:
Mine was 2 years ago on the wreck. I swam through the bait ball that was hanging from the top of the deck over the side and about half way through I saw a large grouper swimming next to me mouth open and feeding. What was really cool was none of the bait fish bump into you there was about a 2" layer of water between me and the fish the entire way I swam through them.

What part of Cozumel is the Sea of Cortez? :D

Duh!! You got me there. Don't know how I missed the key word. Need more coffee. :)

One of the coolest things I’ve seen was while diving Maracaibo, this was back in the mid 90’s. A pod of 8 dolphins swam down to us (we were deep). One stopped, head down, vertical, underside towards me leaned his head forward and looked into my mash. He was less then a foot from me. The coolest part was I never saw him until his face appeared in my mask! All the dolphins were in this vertical head down position, just checking us out. The hard part was not following them to the surface. The whole encounter lasted about 2 minutes.

Jorge in a drysuit! Well maybe not the coolest, but the "one of these things is not like the others"

Ok. There have been so many really excellent experiences here, but a couple stand out:

Diving with a pod of dolphins at Cardona.

Seeing two huge Blue Marlin while diving at the wall at San Francisco.

Having an enormous Loggerhead turn it's back and repeatedly slam me and another diver with its shell at San Juan while we were spearfishing lobsters.

Seeing a huge Great Hammerhead just sitting on the bottom in the sandy area that seperates Yucab from Tormentos.

Schools of 30+ Eagle Rays at the Barracuda.

One of the coolest things I’ve seen was while diving Maracaibo, this was back in the mid 90’s. A pod of 8 dolphins swam down to us (we were deep). One stopped, head down, vertical, underside towards me leaned his head forward and looked into my mash. He was less then a foot from me. The coolest part was I never saw him until his face appeared in my mask! All the dolphins were in this vertical head down position, just checking us out. The hard part was not following them to the surface. The whole encounter lasted about 2 minutes.

I am still waiting on the dolphin encounter. That would be cool.

Back
Top Bottom