What is the difference between the Coral Sea and Ribbon Reefs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fairybasslet

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was thinking of doing a livaboard and the destinations are Osprey, Cod Hole and Ribbon Reefs. Someone told me that the itinerary is not that great, that I should go to the Coral Sea, but I thought these sites were in the Coral Sea.

all of the above are the premium dives along the GBR. Skip the day boats and 1-2 night liveaboards and get on the trips going up north (Ribbon/Cod Hole/Osprey), the quality of the reef in the northern GBR is a huge difference from the reefs 3-4 hour boat ride from Cairns or Port Douglas.

Cod Hole is along the Ribbon Reefs... Ribbon Reef #9 I think... and Osprey is in the Coral Sea. You can get a liveaboard to both from Taka or Spirit of Freedom.

Osprey and the Ribbon Reefs are definitely the best diving on the east coast (also the Yongola wreck off Townsville/Magnetic Island).

fairybasslet:
I was thinking of doing a livaboard and the destinations are Osprey, Cod Hole and Ribbon Reefs. Someone told me that the itinerary is not that great, that I should go to the Coral Sea, but I thought these sites were in the Coral Sea.

Code Hole is a section of the Ribbon Reefs which are part of the GBR. This is shallow water reef 20m max depth. It is about the best of the commonly dived parts of the GBR. Much better than the Cairns/ Port Douglas day trips but still just okay, particularly if you are travelling very far to get there. Osprey is a volcanic mount in the middle of the coral sea. This has typical wall dives, a fair number of sharks, etc. Osprey is nice diving, but as far as its rating with other major diving destiations it is middle of the pack.

I would only do a liveaboard. To me, it's just not worth it to travel that far if I can't get 4-5 dives in a day. So what liveaboard itineary would anyone suggest?

DocVikingo:
Hi FB,

Can you think of anyone who was recently there and wrote up their trip for Undercurrent? : )

Might want to look into one of the Mike Ball expeditions http://www.mikeball.com/expedition_summary.htm, in particular this one http://www.mikeball.com/Coral_Sea_safari_Liveaboard_Scuba_Diving_Australia.htm

Regards,

DocVikingo

:rofl3: :rofl3: Ah yes, the Beano trip. :rofl3: Short term memory loss. Honestly though, I was thinking of doing an intinerary that was different than your's was. I was telling someone about this trip I was thinking of going on and she said "Don't dive the Ribbon Reefs, dive the Coral Sea" so that got me confused because this trip is billed as the Coral Sea. Thanks for the Mike Ball tip. I was looking at a different operator. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom