What is the english word?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Overhang" if it's something you can get under, 'ledge' if it's a flat area under an overhang.

agree.

overhang is the term

also, ledge = shelf

"Overhang" is part of a rock face or the edge of a roof, that projects out over the space beneath; you or something can go under it.

"Ledge": flat surface projecting from rock face: a narrow flat projecting rock shelf, e.g. on the vertical surface of a cliff/wall. You can walk/sit/kneel on top of it. It can, but doesn't necessarily, have space beneath it making it an overhang at the same time.

Is the above accurate? I am trying to give "precise" explanation of the terms in Arabic.

"Overhang" is part of a rock face or the edge of a roof, that projects out over the space beneath; you or something can go under it.

"Ledge": flat surface projecting from rock face: a narrow flat projecting rock shelf, e.g. on the vertical surface of a cliff/wall. You can walk/sit/kneel on top of it. It can, but doesn't necessarily, have space beneath it making it an overhang at the same time.

Is the above accurate? I am trying to give "precise" explanation of the terms in Arabic.

In Canadian English, growing up around mountains, I agree with your explanations.

I think that's accurate. If the feature does NOT have space below it, then it is a ledge but not an overhang. If the feature has space above it AND below it, then a speaker's choice of "ledge" over "overhang" suggests the speaker wants to emphasize something about the space above it, while the choice of "overhang" over "ledge" suggests the speaker wants to emphasize something about the space below it, but it's not a major distinction. Just as a ledge can, but does not necessarily, have space beneath it, an overhang can, but does not necessarily, have space above it. If there is space above it, then don't think it would be incorrect to speak of walking/sitting/kneeling on an overhang. If a speaker wants to convey that the thing on which someone is walking/sitting/kneeling, etc., juts out over a space, then he might choose "overhang" over ledge.

Back
Top Bottom