What is the most affordable Live aboard to Tubatha

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

415Gem

Reaction score
Hello. Just wanted to return to the beautiful Philippines and check out Apo reef and Tubatha reef. I am a one star kind of traveller... so I would rather go with an outfit that knows the area well, good food, safe. I am hoping for walk up...last minute rates. $ 100.00 USD a day. Anybody got any ideas ? Kind regards :14:

what is your definition of affordable? most tubbattaha trips cost a minimum of $1000 for 5 days so finding one for a $100 a day will be tough. unless you hire a local bangero to take you to tubbattaha. i doubt if anyone would be willing to do this as tuba is in the middle of nowhere

There are boats that go out that way from Iloilo. 50-60 footers. But they're not supposed to fish there so it's not in their interest to spend a lot on fuel for nothing. Plus you'll need a compressor and tanks. But these guys are good seaman and will get you there and back. It'll be a real cultural experience for sure. I have a friend in Iloilo who went there and some military guys pulled up with M16s and all questioning them I guess to be sure they weren't dynamiting. After some talk and breaking out a cooler of San Miguel, everything was cool.

Hank49:
There are boats that go out that way from Iloilo. 50-60 footers. But they're not supposed to fish there so it's not in their interest to spend a lot on fuel for nothing. Plus you'll need a compressor and tanks. But these guys are good seaman and will get you there and back. It'll be a real cultural experience for sure. I have a friend in Iloilo who went there and some military guys pulled up with M16s and all questioning them I guess to be sure they weren't dynamiting. After some talk and breaking out a cooler of San Miguel, everything was cool.
Hank, I would love to experience that (minus the m16 getting pulled - I once got a bolo knife pulled on me by some NPAs but that's a whole other story...), but I was under the impression that you need a permit to run liveaboards out to tubbataha now?

chip104:
Hank, I would love to experience that (minus the m16 getting pulled - I once got a bolo knife pulled on me by some NPAs but that's a whole other story...), but I was under the impression that you need a permit to run liveaboards out to tubbataha now?

I'm not sure of the law now. My friend has been there a couple times on his 60 foot banka though. (if you want to see his type boat, Victory and Fisheye have boats that he had made in Tiolas, Antique) I would guess that there may be a fee as you said but if one showed up with a few hundred pesos, some San Migs and a few bottles of Anejo...and show respect and clean up.
Regarding M16s: Carabao Isle just NE of Boracay has a few nice spots on the north side. There is, or was, apparently a retired military man of some sort with a house there who figured he was entitled to some of the wealth that Barocay generated, so he imposed a "tax" on any dive boat diving on "his" reef. One boat decided they didn't have to pay so he put a few rounds from an Armalite across their bow as they pulled away. They paid.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom