What Is The Most Important Piece Of Gear You Can Buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I appreciate where you're going, (hence the disclaimer st the beginning of the post) but it's like anything else, if it breaks on a trip, you have to adjust. (if it's between dives, and I can't figure out my profile, then I sit out, plain and simple) But since the majority of my dives have been within the 35' depth, (and I have a back up timer) I can probably get it right.

I haven't done a dive yet without tables backing me up, and don't really plan on stopping that habit. The first dive I ever did, the DM had a computer, but still worked out his tables, and told me that it's good to do.

Dive-aholic:
Not to hijack the thread, :D but if your computer breaks down mid-dive, how do you know your profile and whether you can dive again? You should always be aware of your profile and not have to rely on a computer or buddy. I dive a computer, but I still figure out my profile with the wheel for every dive, for back up and so I don't forget how to use it. This means I need to be aware of my depth, time, temp, etc.

Okay, back to topic. :D

reg, and mask of course.

I am tempted to say that the most important piece(s) of gear you can own are your mask and fins. If either of these is of a bad fit it becomes apparent in a short amount of time and is a constant reminder that you have made a bad choice. On the other hand, you can certainly live with a leaky mask. All-in-all I would have to say that your most important gear item is going to be the one that keeps you alive: your regulator. That breathy thingy is the ultimate last link between you and tomorrow.

Regulator. I can't last my life any minutes without it under water.

A safety sausage if you are diving in the ocean.

I concur with the previous post
After Mask and Fins....SAFETY SAUSAGE!!!!
Best money you will ever spend...

I consider this one thing even though it's made up of many things:
Regulator apparutus including dive computer and compass
- forget the table, it's a joke. I'm sure you understand the concept of pressure groups and RNT after open water cert class) Go with a computer. A computer that logs all of your dives. I have a sherwood wisdom, love it. Keeps total bottom time, # of dives, and deepest dive and temp.
- A set of balanced regs(buy popular, servicebale regs ex: don't buy beuchat unless you have beuchat dealers nearby). I like the consistency of knowing how my reg breathes at whatever depth. Rental gear is scary: we're talking about life support systems here! you need to trust your regs. the tank is almost always provided, so all you can do is be sure you're regs are good.
You can rent a bc and it's easy to get used to a different bc on every trip for a while. No bc will make learning buoyancy easier. they all do the same thing. The only problem is the tank retaining band can suck. so that would be the second thing to buy. Yea you could have malfunctions on a rental bd so fill it up with air and listen for leeks at the dive shop before you take it on vacation with you.
fins/mask/snorkel/ <--- is no big deal

ditto about regulator...

For all the people recommending regulators: do you feel rental regs are so universally awful and unreliable that you'd rather dive in a poorly fitting, old, nasty, used wetsuit that restricts your breathing and smells like a dog than dive with a rental reg?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom