What Is The Most Important Skill For A New Diver?

What Is The Most Important Skill For A New Diver To Work On?

• Buoyancy and Trim.

Votes: 68 65.4%
  • Gas Management

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Kicking without silting up the bottom.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Buddy awareness and underwater communication.

Votes: 12 11.5%
  • Dive Planning

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Navigation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Having Fun

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • All Of The Above

Votes: 18 17.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buoyancy control and trim. Once you become one with the water, all the rest will fall nicely into place and you will have fun.

OE2X:
Someone has gotten OW certified. What is/are the most important skill(s) to learn?

Credit card management and control

kazinvan:
I'm thinking "Gas Management" refers not only to using air slowly, but also checking your gauge so you don't run out of air. To me, not running out of air is WAY more important than having good trim and buoyancy.

Mike
Barring equipment malfunction, poor buoyancy control and poor trim provide a way to run out of air quicker.

DennisS:

ROTFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is that you, hon? What are you doing on Scubaboard?

Seriously, I said bouyancy and trim. When I finally mastered the bouyancy problem (Thanks, NWGratefulDiver :D), everything else seemed to click!

I have to say, since I am a very new diver...I have to say the most important thing for a new diver is not to panic!! I tend to panic a lot, and I run out of air. I can use up a high pressure 120 in 25 minutes. Also to watch your surroundings...I almost ran into a Lion's Mane Jelly Fish on one of my dives. Luckily my dad is a ex USN diver and commercial diver..and pulled me back and saved potentially my life.
:monkeydan :scubadive

little diver chick:
I I tend to panic a lot, and I run out of air. I can use up a high pressure 120 in 25 minutes.
Welcome to the board! I agree that breathing calmly is an important skill. Sounds like your dad has a lot of great experience you can learn from.
BTW, I noticed that when you filled out your profile, you didn't say what agency you are certified through, or how long. Want to tell us?

Nuts! Senior moment. Guess I'm lucky to remember who my buddy is during a dive much less what I posted 6 months ago. :D

Thanks for pointing this out to me Sean.

NauticalbutNice:
You've never dived with me have you? :wink:

Seriously though I have to agree. Buoyancy is the key to diving. Buddy communication can save your life. I don't think there can be 1 key skill. Maybe a basic 10 (or 20 :wink: )

Nauticalbutnice :fruit:

Not yet, but thanks for the warning. When I make it out to Scotland and do, though, I'll have to remember to keep an eye on my compass... :D

DennisS:

I would vote that as the most difficult. There's always a new toy I want to get. :11:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom