What is the oldest regulator still in production or that you own?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wasn't your original question about old regs that are still in current production? With that in mind, what is the oldest design reg that you can still walk into a dive shop and buy new? SP MK2? I'm not talking about evolutions of old designs, but actual models that have been around for a long time.

captain:
Old and still in use 1955 Le Spirotecnique Mistral, 1957 Voit VR2, 1968 U S Divers AquaMaster, 1968 Conshelf VI, 1969 Voit Swimaster MR2 and the newest 1984 Scuba Pro MK V/ R109.

I am using the 1968 U S Divers AquaMaster in the photo.

mattboy:
Wasn't your original question about old regs that are still in current production? With that in mind, what is the oldest design reg that you can still walk into a dive shop and buy new? SP MK2? I'm not talking about evolutions of old designs, but actual models that have been around for a long time.

Well, it was three questions (answer the ones you want). I think the MK2 was the MK200 back in the day, and I don’t know if the design was changed at all. DA would know! Good choice! I think some US Divers designs (Conshelfs) have been around a little longer than the mk200/mk2. I could be wrong…

Thanks for the reply Captain! The reg is as old as me...

mattboy:
The original Mk 2 as well as the current Mk 2 Plus both used a larger diameter piston than the Mk 3 that replaced the original Mk 2 until the Mk 3 was in turn replaced by the Mk 200 and then the "new" Mk 2 and eventually the current Mk 2 Plus.

The original Mk 2 design has remained more or less unchanged regardless of piston head size, but the reg has shown a great deal of evolution in terms of cosmetics, numbers of ports and details such as the SPEC and TIS systems used over the years. So it's not really correct to say the current Mk 2 Plus is the same as original Mk 2 and in any case it has not remained in continuous production over the last 40 plus years. In addition, the second stages used on the Mk 2, 3 etc have changed frequently.

Realisitcally, the later production Mk 3 (dating from the late 1970's through the late 1980's) with 3 LP ports is the oldest of the Mk 2/Mk3/Mk200/Mk 2 Plus line that can readily be used with both an octo and a power inflator.

Aqualung still supports (and as far as I know would still produce if more were ordered) the Mentor, which is a double hose regulator used by the US Navy for training and for what amounts to rebreather familiarization. I am just not sure when it entered production.

As for the oldest reg you can still buy brand new in the shop, the Aqualung Conshelf XIV would be hard to beat as it has been continuosly cataloged since (I think) the late 1970's).

DA Aquamaster:
Aqualung still supports (and as far as I know would still produce if more were ordered) the Mentor, which is a double hose regulator used by the US Navy for training and for what amounts to rebreather familiarization. I am just not sure when it entered production.

My understanding is that Aqua Lung only made about 130 Mentors around 2002. They do support them, since most of the parts are the same as the Conshelf, the Titan, the Royal Aqua Master DH, etc. They were basically hand made. I don't think we will see more made anytime soon. I hope I am wrong.
For more info see:
http://www.flashbackscuba.com/museum/Aqualung Mentor/Aqualung Mentor.html

DA Aquamaster:
As for the oldest reg you can still buy brand new in the shop, the Aqualung Conshelf XIV would be hard to beat as it has been continuosly cataloged since (I think) the late 1970's).

As far as a complete regulator, I would totally agree with that.

I own several Poseidon Cyklon 300. The second stage of the Cyklon supposedly dates back to about 1958. I used to own one that was from the mid 60's. They still make basically the same second stage as part of the Cyklon 5000 Metal. The parts on the second stage are basically the same or at least interchangeable with my early 70's Cyklon 300 (or any 1960's Cyklon's).

conself X1V and G250HP (wonder if the hp counts since they are being replaced)

The left picture in my avatar is from the early 70’s with my 1971 round label Royal Aqua Master (I had it since 71). On the right I was using the same regulator at the Wazee vintage equipment dive two years ago.

I own some new regulators, but basically only dive vintage double hose regulators (or converted Phoenix RAM).

When I dive a single hose it is normally one of my 1970’s Scubapro MK-5. I have converted them to balanced second stages, but they are the original metal housing.

I occasionally will use one of my Poseidon Cyklon, but I am using them with an Aqua Lung Titan first stage.

I also own and dive:
Late 1950 Mistral single stage regulator.
Late 1950 Aqua Master
Late 1960 square label Royal Aqua Master
Total of three Phoenix RAM with main body and cans from several 1960 donor Aqua Master regulators.

Now a day, I mostly save my round label RAM for vintage dives.

Other regulators that need my attention for service to bring them back to dive ready:
1960 Mistral
Healthways Scuba Deluxe Double hose reg.
Voit MR-12
Voit Titan
A couple of Conshelf

herman:
I still on occasion dive (and loan) an old Sherwood Magnum, early 80s vintgage. But my oldest is a 64-66 Aqualung double hose, dove about 3 weeks ago. There is still a place that will service them.

What model Aqua Lung do you have?

In that time period it could be:
Mistral
Aqua Master
Royal Master (I believe, 1964 or early 1965 only)
Royal Aqua Master (1965 an up, until 1973)

If you need service for a vintage double hose, I would recommend:
http://www.vintagedoublehose.com/forum/index.php

Bryan also has reproduction service kits for most Aqua Lung double hose regulators. And we have replacement diaphragms, main body clamps (to get rid of the darn clips), duckbills, and many other parts.

Here is another site that services vintage regulators:
http://vintagescuba.proboards2.com/index.cgi#general

DA Aquamaster:
I also have some other double hose regs that are fully restored and fully divable.
1953 or 1954 blue label "Agualung"
1956 DA Navy Approved
1958 DA Aquamaster
1959 DA Aquamaster
1958 or 1959 DW Mistral
1964 Royal Mistral

Nice list.

Is that a US Divers (Aqua Lung) Royal Mistral or a Spirotechnique?
Does it work well?
My understanding is that US divers Royal Mistrals in working condition are very rare? Actually USD Royal Mistrals are just rare in any condition.

Back
Top Bottom