What is the oldest regulator still in production or that you own?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

herman:
It's a DA Aquamaster. I am guessing at the dates based on some research I did. From what I gathered, the label puts it after 64- blue metal label with fold over tabs holding it on- but the metal "T" yoke knob puts it before 66.
I know about Vintage Divers. I had planned on getting the Pheonix mod but heard there is a newer version coming and decided to wait on it. It is loads of fun to walk through OW classes with this gear on, the looks are pricelss. :)

Since the experts have gathered here, any comments on this reg? Age, exact model and the like.
Based on the time lines I have put together from various sources over the years:

The West Warner address means 1962 to 1970.
Shiny chrome is 1964 or later.
A flat yoke screw would be pre 1966.

So assuming it is all original it would date from 1964 or 1965. One of the real experts might be able to give a production year based on serial number.

In any case the correct hoses would be black with a black curved "Kleer-EZ" mouth piece. Reproductons are available for the straight "Kleer-EZ" mouthpiece in black yellow and green and I have heard reproductions of the curved mouthpiece may be in the works.

I can't compare to some of the others, but I have a Voit Titan II that I bought around 1970, I think. I dove it last month, with my steel 72 USD yellow tank, with a J-valve of course! :wink:

It's only been intermittently serviced since new, but I did just have it done last week; it's still going strong. The tank passed hydro and VIP last week too.

herman:
It's a DA Aquamaster. I am guessing at the dates based on some research I did. From what I gathered, the label puts it after 64- blue metal label with fold over tabs holding it on- but the metal "T" yoke knob puts it before 66.
I know about Vintage Divers. I had planned on getting the Pheonix mod but heard there is a newer version coming and decided to wait on it. It is loads of fun to walk through OW classes with this gear on, the looks are pricelss. :)

Since the experts have gathered here, any comments on this reg? Age, exact model and the like.

Very nice label on that Aqua Master.

It looks like you could use a main body band clamp. I personally dislike those clips. IMHO, for a diving regulator (versus a display unit) I would always use a band clamp. That way you can open it easily to clean the main case if any water gets behind the mouthpiece check valves.

Also a new silicon reproduction diaphragm is an easy way to improve its breathing performance.

The Phoenix are all gone, but we hope that we may have new ones made in the next couple of months. Keep checking the VDH web site.

My wife's BC is not vintage!!!!!!!!! :wink: The vintage era ends in 1975---wwwaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh, ha, ha.

I got her that poodle jacket I think in 1984 (?) for a birthday present. It has many dives on it and is beginning to have some rough edges. It is not her only BC and I am about to get her a wing and like me, she can dive adequately with no BC. Her first regulator was my old Calypso J from 1966. It still works. My instructor had told me that single hose was for girls so I hardly used the sissy thing. Then I finally met a nice girl so I gave it to her :).

N

We bought a dozen of those for our college scuba club in 1985. The dive shop here had 3 or 4 that were new old stock a few months back - I am not sure if they still have them or not.

For still in service:
@1960 Helthways SCUBA Deluxe 2 hose
2 Aquamasters 1 DA @1960-61 - 1 Round Label @ 1970
1 Round Label Royal Aquamaster @1971
Also have an Aquarius
Currently diving three Conshelf XIVs, two of which have 3/8" High Pressure ports.

But the record for still in production I have a Calypso J from about 1970, my dive shop was able to service for me and they still sell the newest version. Although it has evolved over the years, I believe the Calypso traces it roots to the early 60's.

Luis H:
No reason to be sad about owning a Royal Aqua Master. IMHO that is still one of the best regulators ever. The king of regulators :wink:
It's purchase was a good news bad news thing. It, as well as the DA Aquamaster I upgraded to a PRAM and the DA Navy approved, all belonged to a dive buddy who passed away last year. His family refused an offer to help sell all of his large vintage dive collection through vintage dive sites and collectors and were instead sold at an estate sale.

The result was I bought all three of them for $55.00 each and two of the three (the RAM and the DA Navy) had already been rebuilt by Brian. I also got a load of vintage fins, bands, back packs, Horsecollars, NIB USD manifolds, etc for basically nothing. As sales went it was predictable with few divers there and no vintage divers other than myself - the value of the regs was set by the $50.00 limit that the non vintage divers were willing to pay for a double hose to hang on the wall.

In short, I am glad I got most of his double hose regs especially the DA Navy as it was his first reg when he started diving. (I am not sure what happend to his brown and black Jet Air's and his impressive collection of single hose regs). Still, I'd rather have my freind as a dive buddy.

Where a reg has been, who used it and the history it reresents are much of the appeal of vintage diving.

A friend of the family, whom I have known since I was a kid, recently passed away. :(

Roy was a Master Diver with the US Navy. Barbara, his wife, just gave Laura and me a pair of Conshelf XIV, one in brand spanking new condition in the box with the paperwork and warantee card, both with Dacor SPGs, and a Calypso that was clearly

Roy's primary recreational regulator.

As a kid, Roy was kind of one of my heros.

I would love to have these regulators service and dive on them. I'll see what my LDS can do for me.

Ian

ianw2:
A friend of the family, whom I have known since I was a kid, recently passed away. :(

Roy was a Master Diver with the US Navy. Barbara, his wife, just gave Laura and me a pair of Conshelf XIV, one in brand spanking new condition in the box with the paperwork and warantee card, both with Dacor SPGs, and a Calypso that was clearly

Roy's primary recreational regulator.

As a kid, Roy was kind of one of my heros.

I would love to have these regulators service and dive on them. I'll see what my LDS can do for me.

Ian

Sorry to hear of his passing...you should have no problem with getting the gear serviced. The Conshelf XIV is still in Aqua-Lungs 2007 catalog!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom