What is this tube-like thing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Leslie will eventually pop by and figure out if it's a worm or not. There are some pretty fruity-looking marine worms that can get pretty big, and some species build a parchment-like outer lining.

It looks a lot like a cerianthid tube though.

LeslieH:
Arch - "fruity-looking"?

You see! This is why taxonomists are NO FUN. Everything is taken literally. Now I need a cop-out... hmmm... maybe some free verse.

Oh Glycera! How bright your coelomic fluid. Juicy is your proboscis, not unlike a cherry tomato. Blessed crimson delight!

archman:
You see! This is why taxonomists are NO FUN. Everything is taken literally. Now I need a cop-out... hmmm... maybe some free verse.

Oh Glycera! How bright your coelomic fluid. Juicy is your proboscis, not unlike a cherry tomato. Blessed crimson delight!

:cheering: Arch! :cheers:

Okay, thumbnails are up....
Mr. X & Arch are right. it's the tube of the burrowing cerianthid anemone Pachycerianthus fimbriatus. Maybe there's even a anemone inside. The tube's made out of multiple layers of solidified mucus binding layers of silt. Lots of other critters burrow into it. I can remember what a nightmare they were to get in a sample because it was such a pain to sort out all the little animals. Plus all that silt always mucked up the sample.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom