What is this? Worm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Moscuba

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I see thess all the time at night and once in a while in the day. What are these called? This is in Cozumel April 2006.

Thanks.

Moved your thread to the Name that Critter forum :wink:

Looks like some type of sea cucumber to me....but I don't know the waters and critters over there...I'm sure someone knowledgeable will show up and answer your question :D

It looks like either a Slender Sea Cumcumber or a Furry Sea Cucumber
SSC: size 8-12", depth 25-130 ft, colors yellow,reddish-orange, brown,gray or purplish.
FSC: size 10-16", depth 40-100 ft, colors Chocolate brown, to gray often w/scattered spots and blotches of white. (info from Reef Creature Identification)

Moscuba:
Hi, I see thess all the time at night and once in a while in the day. What are these called? This is in Cozumel April 2006.Thanks.

Common name is Tiger Tail sea cucumber. Most of its body remains hidden in the reef. They stick their mouth section out to eat. If you were to gently lift its head it would retract into the reef. Get a Reef Creature Identification book by Paul Humann they're great! There is also one for fish and corals...

I have heard (but never seen) that if a sea cucumber feels really really threatened they can literally spit out non essential portions of their guts??? I believe the phrase was "turn themselves inside out" although it seems a little farfetched...
Some people actually EAT sea cucumbers although I am not one of those people...

Ironcat:
I have heard (but never seen) that if a sea cucumber feels really really threatened they can literally spit out non essential portions of their guts??? I believe the phrase was "turn themselves inside out" although it seems a little farfetched...
Some people actually EAT sea cucumbers although I am not one of those people...

They don't turn themselves inside out but you're right, they can throw out portions of the internal organs through the anus when stressed. The innards are toxic to some degree (depends on the species) and often sticky so would-be predators can end up entangled in guts as well as poisoned.

LeslieH:
They don't turn themselves inside out but you're right, they can throw out portions of the internal organs through the anus when stressed. The innards are toxic to some degree (depends on the species) and often sticky so would-be predators can end up entangled in guts as well as poisoned.

Yes, you are correct and the sea cucumber will not die and can regenerate the portions of its g.i. tract that it sacrificed. I'm not sure Tiger tails are the ones that people dine on... their texture is not hard and firm like other cukes but soft and squishy...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom