What Is This?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You're right about one thing for sure, Walter, it isn't clear enough for a positive ID. I'm still leaning toward the bluespotted sea robin though, which has "remarkable brilliant blue round spots on the pectoral fins" (Shipp) and has larger pectorals than the more common big head sea robin and short wing sea robin.
However... on closer examination of the photo, I'm finding that the feature that originally took me to sea robin vice gurnard, the angular bony head, may be an optical illusion... so I could easily be wrong.
FLL Diver - go get us a better picture!
Rick

Rick,

We are in complete agreement. It cannot be identified from the photo.

Marc,

Did you observe its behavior? If so, please describe its actions and reactions to the divers.

Walter once bubbled...
Did you observe its behavior? If so, please describe its actions and reactions to the divers.

It was swimming slowly along the bottom - feeding I think. When approached, it extended its "wings" - like a defense mechanism. That's what caught my eye and I took its picture. It didn't flee like other fish - it just serenely swan away along the bottom with it's fins out.

I didn't see any of the "walking" on the bottom action by fins as Rick described.

Rick - I don't know about a better picture - maybe next time I do that dive. My $60 Suprema Super Sport from ebay doesn't take the best pictures as you can see. :)

Marc

From the described behavior, I'm wrong... sniff...
It is more likely a Flying Gurnard.. but it still looks mighty bumpy for one... now to figure out which one!
Rick

I have been diving in the same area for a couple of years and have never seen a flying ganard this far north. I have seen them in the carribean which leads me to believe that it is possible. Has anyone considered that it may be a Lizard fish? I am not sure about the wings but the body looks the same.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom