What is this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sculpin

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Shot this yesterday, never seen one before.
Anybody got a name for it?
Taken with Oly 5060.
Got four dives over two days with the battery!
Sculpin.

Sculpin:
Taken with Oly 5060.
Sculpin.

Looks like a spotted moray eel to me.

Cave Diver:
Looks like a spotted moray eel to me.
Spotted Moray's don't have the horn things.

Sculpin:
Taken with Oly 5060.
Sculpin.

Reticulate moray I think. It usually helps a great deal if you mention where you took the photo, so we don't hazard a guess at Indonesian critters when you're actually in Bonaire.

My first choice was moray before I looked at the picture. When I saw the horns it made me thinking - maybe it's a slug?
At least the horns looks like slug's ones.
Mania

Sculpin:
Spotted Moray's don't have the horn things.
Trying to "catch" someone???

I'd say it's probably a "Polygon" Moray AKA a (as Mandrake suggests) "Reticulated" Moray, Gymnothorax polygonius... I prefer "Polygon" as opposed to "Reticulated" since Gymnothorax funebris and Gymnothorax favagineus are also the "Reticulated" Moray, but different fish.
Rick

Sorry it was taken in Barbados, I have done thousands of dives here and never seen one of these before.
Thanks for the help, checked on fishbase.org and didn't get a result.

i think this is a Muraena retifera; they are known to have tubular extensions on the nostrils.

however, they would be very, very rare in Barbados (although you say you've never seen another one, so that fits)

do you by chance have another picture that shows the gill opening? it should have a dark spot there if it's an M. retifera

H2Andy:
i think this is a Muraena retifera; they are known to have tubular extensions on the nostrils.

however, they would be very, very rare in Barbados (although you say you've never seen another one, so that fits)

do you by chance have another picture that shows the gill opening? it should have a dark spot there if it's an M. retifera
Check this pic, this may be what you mean, appreciate the help here guys.
Do you know where this is more common? and where I can get more info on it.
Like I said thousands of dives here never seen this before who knows what else is out there!
Sculpin.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom